Something new under the sand

slfcaptain

During my morning inspection I found this thing up against the glass.
I can't tell if its a snail but the snails usually are clinging to the glass and this thing isn't. Like to hear some other opinions.

It does react when you shine a light on it, it flinches. Curiously, I am not seeing amphipods against the glass and I usually do.

steve

slfcaptain

Found two more things. Its amazing what you see when you blow up photos.

In this photo there is a micro-brittle star tentacle. Look at the l in tentacle in the photo. And there appears to be a bundle of eggs in the upper left. I found bunches of them in blown up pictures. I cant see them with the naked eye.

Sea creatures are cool!

steve

slfcaptain

Wont hurt it if I dig around it? Dont want harm my newly discovered critter.

I'll do it with lights on so I can get a good photo.

steve

slfcaptain

Could a clam like this look like my mystery critter?

A couple of these guys came in with a batch of snail back in October. One was dropped near the site of mystery critter, the other on the other side of the tank. I didnt have any expectations that they would live.

steve

Choff

I'm looking on my phone but I think its a cyborg! It looks like something assimilated a piece of hose or plastic....

...stupid auto correct

Mike Johnson

Because of weather related problems our computer and tv has been down for three days. You must have a good camera. Anyway it's hard for me to answer questions on the phone. And the photo sure looks different on the computer. I think the subject could be in that gloved hand.

Blue Space

yeah... crawls out of the tank and attaches to his face for a period of time before releasing and then dying. Do not eat the pasta!!

kyle4201

Im thinking I would get a net, scoop the sand around it, sift the sand through the net and see whats left in the net. :)

slfcaptain

Well I have bad news and really bad news.

First, it did not crawl out of the tank and assimilate me. I am sure it would have hurt but would have been pretty cool.

Second, I was doing some tank maintenance and couldn't help moving some sand. This is what I found...

(Cue the game-show-loser-music)

Just a cirith snail that just happened to park perpendicular to the glass. I am very disappointed. I should have left it and enjoyed the mystery.

:(

steve