Search results

1. K

drain to sump sounds like a toilet flushing

I just changed my 120 gal reef tank to fresh water. I am still using the 40 gal sump tank for filtration and one of the 2 towers with the drain sounds like a toilet flushing. I haven't been able to get it to stop. The tank is drilled and has a drain and a return on each side. Any ideas what can...
  2. K

saltwater reef to freshwater--filtration?

Thanks everyone, sorry I didn't get right back on this, been sick, but better now. Bounce you don't happen to have a picture you could send of the fuge that is the wet dry or If anyone has any photos of under the tank type filter systems on knows of any dyi articles with photos I sure would like...
  3. K

saltwater reef to freshwater--filtration?

I'm going to convert my 120 gal. reef tank to freshwater. I have a 40 gal. refugium tank under the display tank. I would like some suggestions for the best filtration with this set up. The display tank is pre-drilled and right now I am using 2 Rio 20HF pumps for the return, aprx. 870 gal per hr...
  4. K

I have a large PH drop from high CO2, can you help?

I recently put in a gas log fire place and when I used it the other night the next morning my PH had dropped from 8.3 to 7.6. The ideas I have gotten to fix the problem were to either open a window (not an option), drip lime water,(had rather not), or run an airline from my skimmer intake to...
  5. K

Help, another NEW problem !!

I got scolded a little by Michelle for the title of my thread and I guess she was right. I didn't get as many ideas as I hoped so I'm going to start another thread with a different title and see if I might get a few more hits. Thanks to Woodstock, Lynn and Luukosian for your input. Ken
  6. K

Woodstock mentioned that too. My question about that is if I run a tube from my skimmer intake to the outside or even under the house will the cold air it is injecting drop the temp of the tank too much. I was hoping someone had tried that before I drilled a hole in my hardwood floor. By the way...
  7. K

Your right Lynn too much co2 is for sure not healthy as you know that is the gas we all exhale, but co, carbon monoxide, is the real killer. I have co detectors in the house and none have gone off. I am assuming that the reason the co2 went up when I had my fireplace on was that it was burning...
  8. K

Luukosian, From what I understand agitation with the same room air won't help because the air you are agitating with has the higher co2 in it.
  9. K

Thanks Woodstock, My tank is on an inside wall so I will have to drill a hole under the tank to run a line to the outside. My house is on a crawl space, do you think just going under the house will be enough? If it runs to the outside won't the cold temp of the air drop the temp in the tank. Do...
  10. K

Ok here's what happened. I just put in a new propane gas log fireplace, everything else in the house is electric. I ran it some the other night and you guessed it my ph droped from 8.3 to 7.7 didn't figure out what happened for a while then researched it .Ran an air stone with outside air in a...
  11. K

New hermits and snails

Thanks guys, I haven't been on here much lately, everything has been running and looking good, but everyones always great to answer my questions. This is the first time for me to order livestock online but the guy at the LFS is 6 times higher in price even when you figure in the shipping. Thanks...
  12. K

New hermits and snails

Is it necessary to aclimate hermits and snails like you do fish. When they are mail ordered. Thanks, Ken
  13. K

skimmer question

Thanks for all the ideas, pazazed reef hit it on the head I think. the riser pipe wasn't too high but the filter on it was causing it to act like it was too high, I cleaned it and everything seems back to normal, Thanks again everyone, Ken P.S. that was almost too simple!
  14. K

skimmer question

feeding is the same, everything is the same, except what the skimmer is collecting. guess I'll just keep an eye on things and see if anything else changes. Thanks, Ken
  15. K

skimmer question

In the last week or so my skimmer has started collection half a cup or so a day of very pale green liquid. Before it was collecting 3/4 cup of very dark tea colored liquid a week. The skimmer is a Euro-Reef and it is in a 40 gal fuge under a 120 gal, fairley light loaded reef tank. Is this...
  16. K

would like advise

Hey thanks, that sounds like great advise. I will take it apart and inspect, probably tomorrow and let you know how it turned out. You guys probably saved me a bundle. Thanks again, $$$ ken
  17. K

would like advise

I did not take it apart, I just ran it in vinagar and water for about 45 minutes
  18. K

would like advise

I cleaned it yesterday. It's been running for about 3 years now. I have been lax in cleaning it in the past though.
  19. K

would like advise

I have a 120gal reef with a 40 fuge the mag 18 I have been using for return is getting weak. I would like some ideas on the best pump to use submersible. I would perfer 2 pumps so if one stops I won't loose flow completely. I have limited space without re-doing something (4.5 in. X 7.5 in) foot...
  20. K

question about water change

Thanks so much Woodstock. I just had never thought about it before and assumed everything was already right---What an idiot I am, it's a wonder I haven't realy messed up something in the past. Thanks again Ken