Help, another NEW problem !!

Ken

Ok here's what happened.
I just put in a new propane gas log fireplace, everything else in the house is electric. I ran it some the other night and you guessed it my ph droped from 8.3 to 7.7 didn't figure out what happened for a while then researched it .Ran an air stone with outside air in a cup of my water and the ph came up to 8.2 did it with inside air and it stayed the same as in the tank 7.7 From what I've read you can either open a window (can't do that) run an air line from outside to my skimmer intake (that will not be easy either) plus sometimes there are insecticides sprayed outside, or drip limewater, (that sounds the most promising) However I only use the fire place when it's cold. I live in Arkansas and the weather changes very often even in the winter, you know one day warm the next cold, So the fireplace may be used at very scattered times and for varied amounts of time. I'm not sure how to drip limewater and keep a constant ph. Will the limewater raise the ph above the 8.2 if the fireplace is not running? Anybody had this kind of a problem or got any ideas? I sure could use some help. By the way I have a 120gal reef tank, moderately stocked, 40gal fuge, everything except the ph seems to be ok, I calibrated my ph monitor and backed up the results with a test kit so I am very sure the 7.7 ph is correct. The alk is up to 3.54, kh is 9.9 (that is usually around 8.0, ca+ is 420 (usually 440). I'll keep the fireplace off until I, or we, figure out a fix.
Thanks,
Ken

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yep, excessive co2 given off from the gas logs is your issue. It sounds like you've already researched the possible fixes for the low PH in your tank.

I think venting air from the outside would be the best bet. You could filter the incoming air through carbon to clean it of any contaminants.

Are your gas logs installed properly? Even the 'ventless' logs recommend keeping the flue open for venting purposes. High indoor co2 isn't good for your reef or your family.

We have a similar issue as our stove/oven, fireplace, dryer, furnace and hot water heater are all powered by natural gas. I use kalkwasser for all evaporated top offs already so in the winter time (when indoor co2 levels rise), I simply air out the house (open a few windows or door) when needed.

Ken

Thanks Woodstock,
My tank is on an inside wall so I will have to drill a hole under the tank to run a line to the outside. My house is on a crawl space, do you think just going under the house will be enough? If it runs to the outside won't the cold temp of the air drop the temp in the tank. Do I just use a line the same size of the skimmer intake? Does the line need an air pump on it or do you think the skimmer will have enough suction for the extra length, it will have to be several feet long. The skimmer is a Euro-Reef model RS-180. The place I bought the fireplace assures me it is save without a flue which I don't have anyway.
Thanks,
Ken

Luukosian

couldn't you just run a pump right on the surface of the water? The surface agitation would outgas most of the co2 you'd think.

Ken

Luukosian,
From what I understand agitation with the same room air won't help because the air you are agitating with has the higher co2 in it.

lcstorc

You are correct on that Ken but what would have me even more worried would be the excess CO2 in the house regardless of the tank. For our tanks it will change our PH but for humans it can be deadly. Maybe I am overreacting but I would be more worried about the CO2 in general than the tank specifically.

Ken

Your right Lynn too much co2 is for sure not healthy as you know that is the gas we all exhale, but co, carbon monoxide, is the real killer. I have co detectors in the house and none have gone off. I am assuming that the reason the co2 went up when I had my fireplace on was that it was burning up a lot of the o2 in the house and with no real amount of fresh air coming in all that was left was an over abundance of co2. That's just a guess though. I had no idea that the ph would fall that much or that fast just from a fireplace. I have read about some people injecting co2 into there tanks, guess they must have too high of a ph. I'm still not sure how is the best way to fix this.
Ken

lcstorc

I am horrid with the chemistry stuff but the injecting co2 comes with using a calcium reactor so it's like using one to offset the other kind of thing. Quite a bit too advanced and expensive for me.
Any chance of running a small air line outside? You have said opening a window is impossible but how about an opening large enough for an air line?

Ken

Woodstock mentioned that too. My question about that is if I run a tube from my skimmer intake to the outside or even under the house will the cold air it is injecting drop the temp of the tank too much. I was hoping someone had tried that before I drilled a hole in my hardwood floor. By the way I also drip kalkwasser for all the evaporation, almost 2 gal a day.
Ken

Ken

I got scolded a little by Michelle for the title of my thread and I guess she was right. I didn't get as many ideas as I hoped so I'm going to start another thread with a different title and see if I might get a few more hits. Thanks to Woodstock, Lynn and Luukosian for your input.
Ken