question about water change

Ken

I don't guess I have ever checked the water I'm using to change with to see if it matches the water in the tank, except for the salt and th temp of course. I did today and what a difference. Here's what's in the tank.
Ph=8.2
salt+ 1.026
dKH=10.2
ca++=420
mag+1440

Here's what the change out water is
Ph=8.4
salt+1.023--trying to bring it down in the tank just a little
dKH=5.6
ca++=280
mag=1500++ probably around 1600
I'm changing out about 35 gal in a 120 with a 40 gal fuge. My questions are should I try to match the Ca and dKH and is it normal for there to be that much difference in those with a new batch of water?
Thanks,
Ken

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
This is why I recommend testing your newly made salt water PRIOR to using it.
Yes, adjust the calcium and alk to whatever levels you think your tank needs (if the reef is low in ca, boost the ca in the makeup water, etc)

You will find that no two salts are exactly alike. It is important to know your salt and adjust IF necessary before you put it in your reef.

Ken

Thanks so much Woodstock. I just had never thought about it before and assumed everything was already right---What an idiot I am, it's a wonder I haven't realy messed up something in the past.
Thanks again
Ken

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
You're welcome :)
If you do what I did when I first discovered that, you'll now begin a search for a 'balanced salt'... Right now I'm using Tropic Marin Pro Reef.