would like advise

Ken

I have a 120gal reef with a 40 fuge the mag 18 I have been using for return is getting weak. I would like some ideas on the best pump to use submersible. I would perfer 2 pumps so if one stops I won't loose flow completely. I have limited space without re-doing something (4.5 in. X 7.5 in) foot print.
I would like to move at least 1300 to 1500gal/hr with one pump or about half with each of 2 pumps. The head height is 5 ft. I sure would like to hear pros and cons of some different pumps you guys have experience with.
Thanks,
Ken

framerguy

You say it's getting weak. Have you cleaned it lately? Once a month I remove my Mag9.5, turn it on it's side and submerge it in a vinegar/water solution for 30min-1hr and it works like new again. The calc will cause any pump to slow down with time. I'd try to clean it before investing in a new pump because you've got the industry standard there IMO.

Ken

I cleaned it yesterday. It's been running for about 3 years now. I have been lax in cleaning it in the past though.

Witfull

ditto, clean it. you may have also broken a fin from the impeller. clean and repair if needed. mag drive pumps dont weaken. they (like any pump) suffer maintainence issues or stop completely.

framerguy

Most online warehouses sell impeller replacements, much cheaper than a new pump. Try marine depot or Drs. Foster & Smith.

Witfull

take it apart and inspect the impeller for scratches/grooves or calcium buildup. vinigar will desolve build-up, but it may need a brushing to get it off. if its scored, it costs maybe 25$ to replace the whole impeller drive.

Ken

Hey thanks, that sounds like great advise. I will take it apart and inspect, probably tomorrow and let you know how it turned out. You guys probably saved me a bundle.
Thanks again,
$$$
ken