Search results

1. PhilOlsen

OT~Superbowl smack talk

I personally blame Lovie for the loss, the Colts adapted their plan as the game progressed and the Bears did not, as for Rex, this is essentially his rookie year and for a QB who has had 1 season of starting every game... not bad. He does have the are to throw the long ball and has proven it...
  2. PhilOlsen

Sea Hare(Slug) feeding

I picked up some today... he loves it, he keeps going back to where it was for more. He ate all the hair algae that was in the tank in 3 days so I was a little concerned but all is well, specifically it is green marine algae so for anyone thing about getting one, at least mine eats it willingly.
  3. PhilOlsen

Wellsophillia placement?

I have seen them do very well on the sand, this is the first time I have ever heard sand irritates them. Here are some pics on the sand. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/aug2002/Featured_Aquarium%208%2002/index_3.htm
  4. PhilOlsen

Moving the tank

1. Unless you current LR is left exposed for a extended amount of time, no. I would set up a tub adding water from the tank (enough to cover the rock completely) add a powerhead just for circulation and all should be good. 2. I would not completely clean the old stuff unless it is left exposed...
  5. PhilOlsen

skimming in the QT

I agree with Boomer, I start skimming as soon as I set up and stop when medicating, depending on the treatment.
  6. PhilOlsen

Sea Hare(Slug) feeding

Any suggestion on feeding a Sea Hare? He (snuffalufagus, named by my wife) has already wiped out the hair algae in my 38 pony tank, I tried boiled lettuce and he aint interested. I am planning on getting some macro today for a fuge and maybe some for him to eat.
  7. PhilOlsen

90 Gallon Starphire Start-up

Very nice, cant wait to see the updates as time goes by.
  8. PhilOlsen

Red Sea Salt Mix for reef tank..

Remember to switch slowly, not all at once. When switching salts you should start at like 90% old and 10% new gradually increasing the amount of new salt by 10% in each water change. Just like changing anything , lights, food, etc. your system and livestock are acclimated to what is currently...
  9. PhilOlsen

attack of the ick

Agreed, my understanding is garlic will help build strong imune systems in fish, if that is true it would explain how light infestations are fought off, not by the garlic (directly) but by the fishes own imune system which is boosted by garlic like us eating properly...
  10. PhilOlsen

attack of the ick

The only 3 methods that work on ich are the ones Cheeks stated, a UV will NOT cure ich, it will only kill the waterbourne parasites that pass through, however the parasite that are on the fish or the ones that cling to rocks, substrate etc. will be completely unaffected. A cleaner shrimp will...
  11. PhilOlsen

OT: Super Bowl predictions

Lets here some Supe Bowl predictions..... Heres mine: BEARS 34 COLTS 10
  12. PhilOlsen

So am I the only reef geek

Not at all, I spend about 2 hours, Fridays, 6 hours Saturays and 4 hours on Sundays doing water changes and cleaning 12 tanks. Except this Sunday, so I can watch the BEARS KICK THE COLTS BEHINDS
  13. PhilOlsen

Help Newbeeeeeeeeeee

Most yes but there are tons more breed in captivity then when I started keeping tanks 20+ years ago, yellow tangs, clowns, seahorses, gobies,Triggers, damsels, hawkfish and lions to name a few. Althought the percentage is much higher for wild cought, the percentage of breed is on the rise. This...
  14. PhilOlsen

Help Newbeeeeeeeeeee

At one time, you did not even do water changes. Old water was considered the best thing since sliced bread, who knows in a few years we may say "remember when we used RO/DI water, what a mistake"
  15. PhilOlsen

Help Newbeeeeeeeeeee

Welcome, I have a Coral Beauty and he pretty much leaves things alone. I know most of the species reputations, but, those standards were set while most of the fish were wild caught. More and more are breed in captivity and dont have all the "evil" traits they used to, IMO. A example is this, I...
  16. PhilOlsen

Greatings from Sin City

Welcome!
  17. PhilOlsen

after adding a fish-

The only time I leave the light off is when introducing a fish into a tank with a more agressive tank mate. In that case I add the fish with the lights off and leave them off until the following day.
  18. PhilOlsen

protien skimmer foaming over

Sorry for your loss. You should consider filing a complaint with the BBB against that store. What store is it and where is it at, I want to make sure I never go in if it in the Chicago area.
  19. PhilOlsen

which is more agressive-

Actually those two will have no issues, I have a Coral Beauty with a Humu Humu Trigger, a Yellow Tang and 2 damsels in a 280 and all get along fine.
  20. PhilOlsen

New here.

WELCOME, Looking forward to some pics.