Help Newbeeeeeeeeeee

fishheads

i had coral beauties in reefs and they were fine....every now & then they might nip at a polyp,but nothing bad....AS LONG AS YOU NEVER KEEP A CLAM YOUR SAFE..BTW,WELCOME TO RF

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
Welcome,
I have a Coral Beauty and he pretty much leaves things alone. I know most of the species reputations, but, those standards were set while most of the fish were wild caught. More and more are breed in captivity and dont have all the "evil" traits they used to, IMO. A example is this, I have a Humu Humu trigger in a reef tank, everyone will tell you not to do this, that it will devour corals, but he has not even nipped at one in 2 years, however I do not recommend you just put any combinations together without at least knowing the possibility there could be conflicts or losses, but like the saying in Risky Buisness, every now and the you need to say what the f@#!. I have some interesting combinations in several of my tanks that people, books, articles etc. state wont work, yet I look at them every day. Not all have worked and there has been losses over the years at which point I get pissed off at myself, swear I wont do it again, then as time goes by I try again, maybe I'm a glutten for punishment or maybe I just like to have something others are not willing to try... you make the call.

craig7220

Welcome Conan... I think we all have made mistakes in this hobby.. Back in the 80's all I used was tap water.... but you might want to run some tests on your tap water to see where it is at.. Check for phosphates... You will get diatoms during your water cycle.. This is a normal process.....

PhilOlsen

Welcome Conan... I think we all have made mistakes in this hobby.. Back in the 80's all I used was tap water.... but you might want to run some tests on your tap water to see where it is at.. Check for phosphates... You will get diatoms during your water cycle.. This is a normal process.....

At one time, you did not even do water changes. Old water was considered the best thing since sliced bread, who knows in a few years we may say "remember when we used RO/DI water, what a mistake"

Conan187

what about filtered sea water at the LFS the guy says its filtered down to the smallest micron?? Its in a huge 1000 gallon system ...should I get this or mix my own with RO water?

Pro_builder

PhilOlsen, Were are you getting this info?
Very few fish are breed successfully in captivity.
I have never seen a book that says "That these fish/ corals Can't be kept together" I have seen books say that it is Not reccomended to keep them together, that they may fight or eat at corals.

saltwaterfarm

what about filtered sea water at the LFS the guy says its filtered down to the smallest micron?? Its in a huge 1000 gallon system ...should I get this or mix my own with RO water?

Is the water from the LFS pre-mixed with salt? I use (for my 29G Bio Cube) the Nutri Seawater. It comes in a 4.4 gal jug/box. It is the perfect size for water changes for your pod. If your LFS will run all tests on the filtered water, I don't see a problem with it.
If that doesn't work and your LFS doesn't sell RO/DI water, I would recommend you go to WalMart and get a few jugs (5) of their RO water and mix it yourself. I think it's the "drinking Water" label. Hope this helps...

PhilOlsen

mps9506

Most yes but there are tons more breed in captivity then when I started keeping tanks 20+ years ago, yellow tangs, clowns, seahorses, gobies,Triggers, damsels, hawkfish and lions to name a few. Althought the percentage is much higher for wild cought, the percentage of breed is on the rise. This is just one of the many breeders sites to check out.

http://members.aol.com/casey144801/aquarium/breeding3.htm#Breeding Marine

What is being bred in captivity and what is being sold to you are two different things. there has been lots of success breeding angels (Martin Moe was Pomacanthid angels over 20 years ago) pygmy angels, tangs. However raising larvae in a profitable manner has not been successful. The price of wild caught fish are dirt cheap compared to what it costs to buy a captive bred yellow tang or flame angel.
The only true captive raised fish you will see on a regular basis for sale are gobies, dottybacks, clowns, seahorses and in some areas cardinals. This represents a tiny amount compared to what I see on wholesaler or tranship list every week. Hopefully A more profitable means of raising the food the planktonic fry need to survive will result in more captive bred specimens making it to hobbiests in the future.

As far as Coral beauties, like everyone says, they can be hit or miss, although I would say out of most of the angels available that is among the safer choices in the reef tank. Just don't get pissed at it if it does munch on your corals, its nature. Just make him a new home :)

Conan187

no i didn't have time to go back and fourth I picked up 6 snails 3 turbo and 3 nasserith .......Im going to do a water change ina few minutes. get the test tomorrow.he wanted to sell me some powder I forget the name to reduce nitrate levels i didn't pick it up

Conan187

great! did a 20% water change and my overflow was not overflowing due to the low water level...didn't notice ....put water in water started to over flow...POP!!!!!! my heater blew up........snails and crabs due oke if the water drops to 70%

saltwaterfarm

You might want to be sure your water change water is the same temp as your tank water before adding. I'm not sure about the temp drop for your snails...

Conan187

it was 78 when it broke its about 72 now new heater tomorrow....should i ick up the mini skimmer or is thatr just hype

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
:hallo: Welcome to RS~~ :)

Yikes! Sorry for your mishab! When performing a water change, most people turn off all the pumps/heaters, remove 10-20% of the tank water, and then replace it with new saltwater (matching temp & salinity).

Since your heater busted, I would run some activated carbon (in a media bag near water flow).

Also, I might have missed something but is your tank completely cycled? Have the ammonia and nitrItes settled to zero?

lgerold

Bummer about losing the heater. That has happened to me before, with my freshwater tanks. I finally learned that I could not trust myself to unplug the heater, and bought unbreakable ones! I still try to unplug them, but at least I have the peace of mind.

Nice drop on the nitrAtes...Still more to go, but you're making progress!