after adding a fish-

saltwaterfarm

I keep my regular lighting schedule and feeding schedule with or without the addition of fish. Just do everything the way you usually would...

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
The only time I leave the light off is when introducing a fish into a tank with a more agressive tank mate. In that case I add the fish with the lights off and leave them off until the following day.

Cougra

I think it depends on the type of fish you are adding. If you are adding a hardy fish like a damsel or chromis then I don't think you need to worry about turning off the lights or anything like that.

However, if you are adding a really delicate fish that doesn't ship well, spooks easily and is generally very shy, such as firefish, dartfish, some wrasse (basically any fish that have a really bad reputation for jumping or panicing) then I would turn the lights off for the remainder of the day, leaving a light on outside the tank. The extra light will give the fish something to see with but the residential fish will be looking for their night spots as well and should generally ignore the newcomer. The next day I'll keep to the regular lighting and feeding schedual but will avoid putting my hands in the tank for a few days unless absolutely neccessary.

munki

will a fish get depressed if you leave the lights of for too long? should it have a balanced light schedule? or does it even matter?:swmfish:
-thanks

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Don't know if they get depressed, but it will certainly have a negative effect on them. Nearly all living organisms need some kind of light, if not only to stimulate retinal cells but to aid in the catalytic making of certian vitamins for cell and organ function, especially the higher organisms like fish. It is also important to simulate the regularity of daylight and nightime. Fish have biorhythms and use the times of day and night to coordinate cycles in their existence. They dont' have watches like we do. They go to bed when the light dims and awaken when the light rises. A chaotic lighting schedule could stress a fish into sickness and ultimately death.

munki

so how long should i keep the lights on if i am not looking at the fish and i have no coral. im just worried about algae build up.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
There are many ways of controlling algae growth in the presence of light (ie lowering nitrates and phosphates, turbulant flow and cutting down on the photoduration just to name a few). What is important where fish are concerned is regularity and routine. You could have the light on for 6 hours a day, at the same time everyday. Munki can you post some pictures of your tank? It would make it easier if we could see your set up.

munki

There are many ways of controlling algae growth in the presence of light (ie lowering nitrates and phosphates, turbulant flow and cutting down on the photoduration just to name a few). What is important where fish are concerned is regularity and routine. You could have the light on for 6 hours a day, at the same time everyday. Munki can you post some pictures of your tank? It would make it easier if we could see your set up.

no i cant...sorry