Search results

1. Jorgens

Cyno and hair alge problem..they're winning!!

Ok. I've been working on getting rid of my cyno for over a month with WC and picking/vaccuming off substrate. Within the last week it's almost taken over my system. I ordered another 24 hermits of various types (scarlets/red legged) a coupld more sea stars to help with detitus, and 2 dozen...
  2. Jorgens

Yellow tipped hermit?

Anyone have these? Heard of them? Tried them? Reef safe? I like the cyno eating thing as I'm starting to have problems with it.... Saltwater Aquarium Crabs for Marine Reef Aquariums: Dwarf Yellow Tip Hermit Crab
  3. Jorgens

Running an ASM out of sump?

Anyone ever try it? Is it possible or does that pump need to be submerged?
  4. Jorgens

Leaving Ro/DI unit on for top-off?

If I hook my RO line to my float valve is that ok? Obviously tht means leaving the RO unit on like premenantly......does it sill produce waste water if the output is shut off? I can't see my drain line out and can't tell if it's still making waste.....
  5. Jorgens

bubbles in my closed loop

guess that means it can't be that "closed" eh? if water dose'nt drip? and i don't see bubbles going into feed line. How can I be gettin micro-bubbles blowing out of it? Thoughts? Made my tank look like an alkaseltzer!!! ran for 20 min then shut off for fear of de-stablizing O2 levels.
  6. Jorgens

Browning Acros

Ok, I got 9 in last Tuesday 3-6. A couple of them are starting to turn brown. I have 3x250w 10k . There in pretty high flow on the sand bed for now for light aclimation. I was going to start moving them up this coming week. What are the major contributors in acro DIS-coloration? trAtes...
  7. Jorgens

Stress Break!!!!

:hammerhea :bluegrima Ok thanks for the vent. The closed loop thing is NOT going smoothly... I get it all plumbed and the pump dosen't work. 4 hrs of glueing/cutting measuring and the pump freezes up. Ok ive got things so tight that i have to unscrew the front service cover of the pump...
  8. Jorgens

Return Line siphon break....

Ok, I know several people have mentioned this. As a siphon break on your return lines it's suggested to drill a "small" hole just below the water line. What is a "small" hole? I'm installing 4 1" bulkheads for my closed lop this weekend. I'd like to pre-drill this "small" hole. Flow should...
  9. Jorgens

cheap shipping for salt!!

I just put in an order at the good Drs. Foster&smith. They had reef crystals on sale as well for $31 a bucket. I added one and then removed it to see the difference on shipping cost. It was only 1 dollar!! Granted my order was about $250ish. but shipping changed only $1 with or without the...
  10. Jorgens

Heater preference!!

Ok after hearing another tragic stroy of loss and grief from our own Dentoid. What type/brand of heater do ya'll reccommend? I have 2 glass. 1 visa-therm and a won job. What ya'll think are the least likly to blow up? I've never heard of heaters breaking untill I got into saltwater. It...
  11. Jorgens

Beating Diatoms

Well I thought I was thru this phase but I guess not. After getting my lights last weekend, I of course had to re-aquscape. After I did this I have diatoms growing all over the "new" surfaces that we're side down before. The sand Is more brown than something coming out of the "south end" if I...
  12. Jorgens

Phytoplankton

Does anyone grow there own? I've seen these "reactors" on the moarket somewhere. Just wondering if anyone here has used one or uses something similar to grow and feed live plankton...
  13. Jorgens

Tank circulation and skimming

Ok So I've been moving powerheadds around trying to get rid of dead spots untill I can complete a closed loop. I put them behind the rocks to help circulate that water for a bit, a few dayks or so. I move them back to there orgional position which moves all the tank water better and my skimmer...
  14. Jorgens

Closed loop questions

Ok I want to put in a system. Without drilling it seems to be the easiest to go over the top of the tank. I'm wondering if this pump will work Quiet One 6000 12.2 ft head 1"fittings 1506gph I'm thinking a 1" return with 8 3/4" outs. Will that work?
  15. Jorgens

polyp? shroom?

There are 4 of them across the top of my bubble coral rock. thoughts?
  16. Jorgens

Got my MH fixture Order!

I feel like a kid at Christmas!!!! w000h-000 http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=332&HS=1 I know some ppl can't stand these but I've been following a thread on another reef site. A couple electricians ripped them apart and checked things out comparativily...
  17. Jorgens

Closed Loop

Ok, looking for some real advice on this one. My wife and I cannot stand the look of powerheads in the tank. I have a couple temporary in there to help with flow but I think I'd like to install a closed loopo system. Here's what we have to work with 180g acrylic tank overflow on 1 end...
  18. Jorgens

Where does Ditritus exactly come from?

:confused:
  19. Jorgens

Fosters & Smith's 3rd anual frag swap

Supposed to be visited by some hobby honchos. Anyone else planning on attending? There only 4hrs north of me so I may have to take a trip up. Just wondering if anyone else gets into that kind of thing... June 30-July1 I think
  20. Jorgens

O boy

So I feed my new nem a whole piece of shrimp cut into halves. (H'es a very large nem) It's an average raw 2" shrimp from the grocery store, now presertives or phosphate junk. He cought the 1 half and garbled it down but the other half...... :smack: The other half you ask...well. It...