Where does Ditritus exactly come from?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Ron Shimek

As words go, "detritus" is nice; it is short and even I can spell it correctly (at least most of the time). The word is concise and easy to say. Only its meaning is ambiguous. The term "detritus" is actually a word of Latin derivation and it means a "rubbing or wearing away." As is generally understood, detritus is fine particulate material that is eroded off of larger particles. In our systems, detritus is the small particulate material resulting from either the biological or physical processing of food, living things, or substrata. Often this is waste material from some relatively large organism. So, "detritus" means small particulate material of uncertain and variable origin.

Detritus-A multitude of sins

Jorgens

Thing is. My 90g Freshwater was stocked way more than this tank. And I didn't have nearly, not even as close, to as much ....

Sometimes the little things make me think...

mps9506

Its not just fish waste. Snails, crabs, worms, pods, bacteria in your live rock etc. All contribute to detritus.
FW fish tanks tend to be limited to just fish, and fish poop is pretty easy to filter/ clean out.