Beating Diatoms

Jorgens

Well I thought I was thru this phase but I guess not. After getting my lights last weekend, I of course had to re-aquscape. After I did this I have diatoms growing all over the "new" surfaces that we're side down before. The sand Is more brown than something coming out of the "south end" if I 'm heading north. And cyno seems to be growing in my sand again as well.

Why would we have another cycle of this? I kinow I've read that it's a sighn of a healty tank but it's ugly as sin. Anything I can do besides vaccum daily?

rDr4g0n

nassarius vibex will move the sand all day long and keep the cyano from forming.

Another solution is to develop a device to shrink you down to about 1/16th of an inch. At this size you could hop into your tank and manually destory each and every diatom. Oh you should also have some sort of ultra cool space ship with weapons and stuff. And pack a lunch, cuz it might take a while.

lcstorc

What kind of water are you using? Diatom are common if you use tap water instead or ro/di. Perhapse when you re-aquascaped you released trapped detrius causing the algae bloom. Have you tested your water? A good water change sounds good.

Dragon Wrasse

Another solution is to develop a device to shrink you down to about 1/16th of an inch. At this size you could hop into your tank and manually destory each and every diatom. Oh you should also have some sort of ultra cool space ship with weapons and stuff. And pack a lunch, cuz it might take a while.

.....Nice.....LOL......:bigblue:

Dragon Wrasse

What kind of water are you using? Diatom are common if you use tap water instead or ro/di. Perhapse when you re-aquascaped you released trapped detrius causing the algae bloom. Have you tested your water? A good water change sounds good.

Agreed....I would check my water.....if your toping off with tape water that could be your problem.....:read:

rDr4g0n

if your toping off with tape water that could be your problem.....:read:

tape water is very sticky, which gives the diatoms places to stick to and breed. duct tape water is the worst.

lol sry i had to do it.

seriously, im a preacher of the gospel of nassarius snails. they keep the cyano at bay.. dunno bout the diatoms though.

Jorgens

I use RO/DI/kalk for top-ff for the last 6 weeks or so. I got 40 gallons brewing for a WC tonight. And I did 30gallons last weekend. Dosen't make much of a dent but I don't have any 100g containers laying around.

lcstorc

I use RO/DI/kalk for top-ff for the last 6 weeks or so. I got 40 gallons brewing for a WC tonight. And I did 30gallons last weekend. Dosen't make much of a dent but I don't have any 100g containers laying around.

LOL neither do I.

rDr4g0n

lol i max out at 10 gallon buckets.

Jorgens

lol I'm looking into getting something for the storage room that I can at least get 75g into and pump it over. But department stores around here don't cary anything that big. I think I gotta hit the home improvement jobs and get a big trash can.

prow

humm cyno on the sand huh. frist thing that comes to mind is water flow. what do you for flow in you tank??? increasing it may help. the second thing that comes to mind is your lighting, how old are your bulbs and what lighting do you have?? also when you re-aquscaped did you throw in some carbon? like said before moving things causes bacteria die off and could be part of the reason for your bac/algae blooms. how is your cleanning crew, might want to add a few more.

Jorgens

Interesting. Fixture is brand new. 3x250w 10k MH 4x 96w Actinic. Flow is what I was wondering as well. I have approx 1500gph. I'm thinking about installing a closed loop that would bring total flow to about 3000gph. And no I didn't add any carbon after moving.....think I should? I seem to have bad luck with it. I do install some floos for a day or 2 to act as a mechanical filter when I blow off rocks and suck. Otherwise I have 0 mechanical or sponge type things in the system.

Jorgens

Interesting. Lighting is brand new. 3x 250w 10k MH and 4x 96w PC actinic. I am planning on installing a closed looop in the next couple of weeks. I have about 1500gph flow now. The loop plan will increase to about 3000 gph system wide.

As for carbon no. I didn't add any. Should I? I seem to have troubles with carbon and rinsing it. leave black soot all over. I do however put a filter floss type thing in p[lace for a day or 2 when I move things or blow off rocks.