Search results

1. KodiakBear

Senior Project

Been a long time since I've checked in here. I have to admit that Electrical Engineering is a lot more challenging than I had anticipated, and it's really taken up ALL my time. Add that the size of the family has recently increased, and a few other factors and checking up on forums has been near...
  2. KodiakBear

OT: I laugh at your YouTube video and raise you this one ...

saw this on a different forum, and figured it would be fun to start here. Just post your funny video find here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGKXoryGymA
  3. KodiakBear

45 gal tank/stand and Light

Here's a 45 Gal for sale with the original metal stand. Dimensions: 36X13X23 Asking $75 with local pickup (zip code 31569) Check my chronicle for pics of it when it was setup. Also have the Coralife Lunar Aqualight for it. Asking $100 for it, could ship it for an extra $15.
  4. KodiakBear

OT: Can you pass the US Citizenship test?

Just found this on MSNBC, thought you might enjoy it: Could you pass the latest citizenship test? - July 4 special - MSNBC.com Careful though. The INS is monitoring! :wit:
  5. KodiakBear

45 gal tear-down

Took down my 45 gallon, FINALLY... Here's what's available: SHIPPING AVAILABLE (PM with zip code for quote): 36" Coralife Lunar Aqualight 192W PC fixture (with original box): $125 U-tube style overflow: $15 SeaClone 100 Protein Skimmer: $25 200W submersible heater: $15 Penguin 550 Power...
  6. KodiakBear

OT: motorcyles

Since I have the caulerpa whipping warning on my banner, thought I'd post some random thoughts... I recently came the realization that I'm spending about $250/month in gas just to drive to work and back in my F150! I need the truck for my horses, so trading it in isn't an option (not that...
  7. KodiakBear

45 gal for sale

I'm trying hard to get myself ready to move in the near future, and any way I look at it, the tank just won't survive the trip. (I really don't trust Navy contracted movers) When I get to where I'm going, I'll start over with a bigger set-up. Until then this is what I have for sale: 45 Gallon...
  8. KodiakBear

saving acropora

So, after a month away from home, I found my acropora has a LOT of die off. Pretty much just the tips of a few branches are still alive. Not sure if it's just not enough light in my tank, or a bad batch of phyto, but something wasn't giving it the nurishment it needed. I'm trying to find...
  9. KodiakBear

Calcium/Alk dropping

I've been trying to keep some SPS's in my lil' 45 gal tank with a couple LPS' too. I just recently added an acro and a pocilopora to the mix. Before these last two additions my calcium was consistently at 450ppm and my alk sat pretty stable at 3-3.5 meq/L. Since I added these last two my...
  10. KodiakBear

Tiny zoa looking thingy (most technical term I can come up with)

Well, I haven't added any liverock to my tank in over a year, yet about a month ago my wife noticed this thing popping out of one of my rocks. It's about 1/8 of an inch across, barely. (1 1/4 inch Damsel made an appearance to help with scale) Believe it or not, this itty-bitty little thing...
  11. KodiakBear

New Clown has a boo-boo

Just picked up a couple juvie clowns today. Each one is about 3/4 inch long. After acclimating, then introducing them to their new home, my wife noticed what looks like a chunk of his gills missing. Any ideas as to how to treat this? He is swimming fine, isn't respirating excessively, ate...
  12. KodiakBear

Confused on starting a Nano

I'm looking to convert my little 10 gal standard tank into a nano. It has been cycled for a while now, even to the point of being neglected altogether for over a month. Trying to get serious about it now! Eventually I'd like it to house some small SPS and LPS specimens. Any chance I could...
  13. KodiakBear

recommendations for a new coral

I've got this little $25 off ticket for an online coral store, but not a lot of good real estate in my tank. I have some SPS and LPS, and some Ricordia Florida already nestled pretty well, but really want to make use of this coupon before it expires. The place I want to put another coral is...
  14. KodiakBear

120 long with stand

After a lot of planning, and budgeting, the painstaking decision has finally been made to not stock my new 120 long. :tears: Instead, I'm going to focus my attention on my lil' 45 gal, and attempt to recoup my money for the tank and stand. I'll give it a week here to see if any fellow RS folk...
  15. KodiakBear

Acropora and Pocillopora, biting off more than I can chew?

I had some money in the bank, and the coral broker was having a really good special, thus my temptations were too great. :faces: As impulsive as it may have been, I now have two new frags on their way to my tank. Both are due to arrive tomorrow afternoon. One is a purple pocillopora, and...
  16. KodiakBear

Aquascaping tips and tricks

Just thought I'd start a thread for anyone willing to show and describe what methods they used to build their aquascape. Did you just stack the rocks on top of each other hoping it would be balanced and secure? :bouncebox Did you use mass amounts of superglue? PVC and cable ties...
  17. KodiakBear

another lighting question

I am wanting to convert an old 10 gallon tank into a frag growing tank but am not sure what kind of lighting I should install for it. I want to build a couple shelves in the tank. This would cause frags to be placed from 6 inches from the light on the top shelf, and about 18 inches from the...
  18. KodiakBear

AC went out

Well, leave it to karma in southern Georgia that as soon as my wife goes out of town for the week, the AC goes out. Anyone have any good ideas for how to keep a 45gal with 20gal sump cool? I don't have a chiller, since I normally rely on the home's AC (which is set well below my tank's temp)...
  19. KodiakBear

Tampa Bay Live Rock

Has anyone here ever purchased "the package" from Tampa Bay Saltwater? If so, how was the experience? I just bought a 125 gal on e-bay and am looking to start setting it up as soon as I get down to FL to pick it up. Their prices seem reasonable, I was just hoping someone who has purchased from...
  20. KodiakBear

why are my rocks getting fuzzy?

Well, it's been building up for a while now. At first, I just thought it was some nuisance algae, so I did the algae treatment: Phosphate absorbing media in the sump, minimize nitrates, reduce photoperiod... Yet it keeps spreading! Any ideas what this is, and how I can get rid of it? It seems...