another lighting question

KodiakBear

I am wanting to convert an old 10 gallon tank into a frag growing tank but am not sure what kind of lighting I should install for it.
I want to build a couple shelves in the tank. This would cause frags to be placed from 6 inches from the light on the top shelf, and about 18 inches from the light on the bottom shelf. Is this enough of a difference to even worry about, or is it negligable?
If so, what kind of lighting should I get to ensure the frags on the bottom get plenty of light, while the ones on top don't get scorched?

KodiakBear

Each of the different varieties of Montipora. Some Acropora thrown into the mix, and maybe a Plerogyra. Eventually I'll have to put some of my ricordia into it just so I can get it to attach to something other than my main structural rocks. It's pretty much taken up all the real estate on the rock I started it on, and is about ready to split some more.

rpawluk

first of all i wouldn't mix sps and softies in a frag tank. and second that shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep the acro's in the upper end of the tank. btw what kind of light are you planning on using?

KodiakBear

first of all i wouldn't mix sps and softies in a frag tank.
What's the issue with mixing the frag tank?

btw what kind of light are you planning on using?
Haven't decided yet. Hence my original question.

For such a small tank I think MH would be overkill, and create some substantial heating issues. Any opinions?
As for the alternatives, still thinking about the difference in PC's and T5.
I'm wanting to get the maximum growth for the photosynthetic species, without scorching the more sensitive ones. So I suppose I'm just wondering if there really is a good median lighting for this purpose, or if I should just get separate frag tanks and scrap the shelf idea all together?

rpawluk

mixing softies and sps generally causes a chemical warefare. i'd go with the t5 it will def penetrate the water just right without heating it up. and i think no one should use pc a frag tank that is going to contain sps, the colors wont come out to great.

KodiakBear

Its a hard debate but I was kinda checking on VHOs for you. Have you looked at the Nova fixtures?

Current USA Fluorescent Nova Extreme Fixtures

That may even be to much light unless it could be raised up some.???

I'd looked at some VHO's, but hadn't seen the nova. Thanks for the link, they do look pretty good. Not a bad price either. I might have to start considering their larger fixtures for the DT.

As for raising it up some, I can pretty much mount them however I want (still early in the planning phase here, so I can build it for whatever the requirements become). Also, I own my home, so cutting holes in walls or ceilings is only a problem when my wife finds out what I've done.