Search results

1. R

Large water changes, corals and anemones

Corals of all different species, Clams, Anemones, etc. experience being exposed to the air every day, in the wild, at low tide. They survive just fine. In fact, one of the most successful ways of shipping anemones, is with no water in the bag. If your corals are going to be exposed for...
  2. R

Coral Question

I'd suggest feeding Zooplankton instead of phytoplankton. Both of these corals are carnivores. Phyto is plant or algae based. Watch them after lights out. I think you'll find their tentacles extended just about every night.
  3. R

gluing frags

LOL At "smells horrible!" Have you taken a good whiff at your Xenia or mushrooms while out of the water!!!??? J/K. Super Glue gel works great. It actually creates a skim around it's surface the moment it comes in contact with the water. Then when you press it into it's "nook or cranny," the...
  4. R

metal halide 250 with Ushio bulb

Is this still for sale?
  5. R

DIY Clam mounting help needed

Sometimes you can buy half clam shells from your LFS. Put it in your rockwork and put the clam on it. This "bowl" type shape helps keep the clam in place until it attaches. Otherwise, any "flatish" rock will work out the same way. As was mentioned above, your particular clam is a rock...
  6. R

Is this dude bad

Rock Anemone, also called Flower Anemone. They've been said to eat fish once in awhile. I've got a very large one that's been in my tank for over a year. I have had a couple of fish mysteriously vanish...I have had suspicions about the Flower Anemone...but never have been sure.
  7. R

Zebra striped worm with teeth!

Peanut Worm, they're actually pretty cool to watch. Most of the body is buried inside live rock. It stretches out to eat. It basically eats rock...lol. They're totally harmless and don't usually survive long in our tanks...although I've got a few that I didn't notice until my tank was about...
  8. R

2 pics of I dunno

I hate to disagree, but that's a Majano IMO. Same treatment though. Inject it with Kalk Paste. This can be made by mixing Pickling Lime with RO water to a toothpaste consistency.
  9. R

Blasto Merleti Colony FS in Ga (will ship)

I'm interested in recent pics please. returnofsid@hotmail.com
  10. R

Marine Books for Sale

Did you receive my paypal for The Conscientious Marine Aquarist?
  11. R

What are they?

Heck, my fish are part of the family!!!
  12. R

Which fish is the most essential to a reef

Cleaner Goby!!! Or any of the very animated Shrimp Gobies. I just love my Threadfin Goby!!!
  13. R

Metal Screw in Fishtank...>Problem?

Easy solution...remove the canopy to save the elbow!! lol.
  14. R

What do I do?

Sounds like a typical diatom bloom. By changing out your substrate, you probably not only released a lot of gunk but also restarted your cycle. If it's a typical diatom bloom, it'll settle out as your cycle matures and other forms of algae take over....I hope!! Good luck
  15. R

aiptasias removal/exterminate

I'll tell you my experience with aiptasia. I heard and read all the different methods, Joe's Juice, Peppermint Shrimp, Pickling Lime, lemon juice...etc. My brother's a diabetic and I had lemon juice in the fridge so decided to try the free option first. I only had 2 aiptasia that I was able...
  16. R

Many A Question...grab a beer!

It's actually just a flexible knecked, clamp on cheapy that I purchased at Walmart. I took out the normal incadescent light bulb and replaced it with one of those Compact Flourescent, high efficiency bulbs that look like a coiled tube and thread in an incadescent fixture. I'll try and get a...
  17. R

Question on members only substrate, sand if you will!

My advice would be to ask the LFS once more and if you get the same "I don't wanna talk about it," response, explain to him in a not-so-polite manner that he's just lost all of your future business, turn around and walk out. That's just rediculous for someone who's in business to make money and...
  18. R

Many A Question...grab a beer!

If you're only wanting to go FOWLR, I think your set up is just fine, as long as you keep your fish load to a minimum. I agree that once you get your live rock established, you'll need/want to remove the sponge from the power filter. It's going to become a nitrate factory, which will...
  19. R

Live rock with unidentified growth.

First photo, I haven't seen it move but it appears to be soft and have some sort of tenticles. Third photo, I now believe is just a skeleton. It is hard, doesn't move and appears dead. Ahh I understand what you mean about the spaces now. I'll do it correctly next time...lol.
  20. R

Live rock with unidentified growth.

Okay, I've got that part. I've actually got probably 100 duster worms in the aquarium, most attached to the live rock. In the first photo I provided, there's something in a hole in the rock, above the feather duster. It looks to me like a polyp of some kind. It does appear to be soft...