Coral Question

chriswho

Hey, all. I have a closed maze brain coral, as well as a candy cane coral. My question is, how often should I see the feeding tentacles on these corals? I have had them around 2 weeks, and in this time I have only seen the tentacles on the brain one time. As for the candy cane coral, I have never seen it's tentacles. I thought maybe this was because it's a small frag, but I am not sure. During the day the CC will swell up, and become somewhat translucent, which I'm guessing is healthy. I can see small openings on both of the polyps, which I am guessing is the mouth. I've tried teasing them by squirting a small amount of phyto onto them, but nothing ever happens. Can someone explain this?

blue_eyes53813

Both corals may be feeding when the lights are out. Im not to familiar with the brain coral but My CC tenicles are out after the lights go out about once a week.. If it looks healthy when the lights are on.. I wouldnt worry about it.

cbrownfish

My LPS all primarily feed after lights out. If I feed heavy one day, it often puts them into feeding mode. Some of them took a while to get acclimated (months) but once they did, they feed nearly every night. Try shooting some finely minced food, cyclopeeze or similar, into the tank after lights out.

chriswho

The only time I saw the brain tentacles was while the lights were on. Could be because I run my lights later in the day (12:30-10:30) and they're still getting used to it. Thanks for the advice.

BigJay

my candy canes tentacles are out all night long but they will not feed at night. When I feed them some are hungry and will feed easily. Usually if you get one to start feeding wait about 5 minutes and you'll see the other polyps start to illicit a feeding response from the "smell". If none will feed initially use something to hold food nearby for a few minutes and you may see a feeding response.
Beyond that my candy canes mostly do not display the tentacles during the day. I do have one thats been splitting for 2 months and it displays constantly and will usually eat what ever is put in front of it and the one I use to trigger the others to eat.

returnofsid

I'd suggest feeding Zooplankton instead of phytoplankton. Both of these corals are carnivores. Phyto is plant or algae based.

Watch them after lights out. I think you'll find their tentacles extended just about every night.