Question on members only substrate, sand if you will!

music man

I was in the LFS the other day and I noticed he has converted all his show tanks to the spherical substrate, I don't rember the name of it but I know it is mined in only 1 location, it is the 1mm perfectly spherical substrate, I asked where I could get some and he didn't want to talk about it, he acted like it was a trade secret. like if he spilled the beans he would be banned from the marine business altogether.
I will be converting a 300g tank to a reef tank ove the next couple years and I thought "Gee that stuff just looks just swell even in a FO tank it would look darn good.

Does any one have any experience with this sand? where can it be obtained? what is it called? and finally is it and better/worse for a reef tank or FO tank? I gotta have it either way, wheres it comming from. I can't buy playsand here in WA so I might as well get the cool stuff, is it too expensive or does it only work in show/fish tanks? I buy argonite for about 1.50 per lb so how much more would this stuff be? does it support life like pods and worms?

:whstlr: this is a regular Men in black mission I got to get these secrets, can I be a member of this tight knit society where do I learn the secret handshake so this guy will sell me a few lbs of this sand?:contract:

gimpy

music, I am not really sure what kind of sand you are talking about. And don't know if I am even close here, buuuttt. There is a place in Utah (used to have it bookmarked but can't find it now) that mines something similar to what you are talking about, I think. It's been so long now, I can't remember the place or name of it. You might try a google for this stuff in Utah. Sorry, can't help more. But If I think/find it, will let you know (oolithic, maybe?).

music, I did find it. I did a google search on "oolitic Utah" and it came up as the very first one. Sorry, I can not type it in, it is way too long. Give it a shot and see if that is what you are looking for?

Frank

Charlie97L

i'd go back to the LFS, find the same guy, and be like, oh hey, i talked to this guy online, and he recommended oolitic substrate to me, do you know what that is? can you guys order it?

and see what he says. hahaha. :)

music man

That looks about right, now for the big question: Is it any good? as in for a bio filtration substratein a reef?

Thanks again

returnofsid

My advice would be to ask the LFS once more and if you get the same "I don't wanna talk about it," response, explain to him in a not-so-polite manner that he's just lost all of your future business, turn around and walk out. That's just rediculous for someone who's in business to make money and serve the public to refuse to do so!! Stick with live sand!!! It's been "tried and trued" for a very long time.

Yarr

i hate people that cloud this industry in secrecy to big note themselves as knowin gmore than they actually do. Really irritates me. We are all in this hobby for the same reason. becusae we like it. retailers need to remember that and start being proactive about helping themselves by helping hobbyists as much as humanly possible.