Search results

1. J

blue ribbon eel.

well i think ive done my most foolish thing yet in saltwater. i just bought a blue ribbon eel. ive read many times about how hard it is to care for one and did it anyways. one of the lfs had posted on facebook that they had one come in and it was only $50 so i immediately went up there and...
  2. J

glasscages.com quality question

so ive been considering a larger tank. i dont need space for corals but the limitations on fish is aggravating me. a guy is selling a glasscages 240g system(96x24x24 if i remember correctly) for 1600$ with sump, vertex skimmer, 100lbs rock, currentusa t5's and various other stuff. all in all its...
  3. J

sea slug?

i just saw this about twenty minutes ago and temporarily pulled it from the tank. i know its not a great pic and i can get more if this is not enough. it has a hard shell but it seems to only.be on the top portion of its body. when i poked it it kinda stood up a little and moved fairly quickly...
  4. J

Found a clam/mussel type thing

so i was looking at my tank and this thing appeared out of nowhere. it definitely was not there a week ago. the girlfriend said she noticed it about three days ago and i just noticed it about an hour ago. im sure this thing is harmless but does anyone have any info on it? im positive its alive...
  5. J

Forgot this corals name..

i just bought this coral earlier and i completely forgot what it was called...
  6. J

Weird little worm

anyone ever seen one of these? tried to get a picture of it under the halides but by the time i got them on and went to take the picture my brittle starfish had stumbled across the worm and was eating it.
  7. J

What not to do with an overflow box.

so i was sitting on the couch in front of my tank and heard what sounded like water spilling and when i looked up at my tank i saw water running down the front of the glass. of course i panicked and hauled you know what to the relay box and started just ripping cords out as fast as i could. i...
  8. J

Skimmer producing large bubbles.

I have a bubble magus nac 6 with a needle wheel impeller and i just noticed that its not chopping the bubbles like it used to. i disassembled the entire thing inspected/cleaned everything, reassembled and tested with no change. it produces the same water level inside the skimmer with the same...
  9. J

Got a frogspawn

i just got this frogspawn on friday. i have never seen any like this so i thought id post it up. some of the tips are purple, some are green and some are both.
  10. J

What effect does UV have on corals?

I am curious what effect poorly filtered uv radiation from a metal halide would be on corals? I have the cheap-o odyssea MH fixture and though i dont think its as horrible of a setup as alot of people, i do question the glass that comes on the fixture.
  11. J

Clownfish spawning?

So ive been watching my clownfish and i think they may be about to spawn. They both have been cleaning a spot on one of my rock and the male literally lays in that spot alot. I read about what happens when they spawn and they said itll have a white tube hanging out of the center of the fish...
  12. J

Filtering Sump Inlet

i got a new toy yesterday and it made my wet/dry sump a bit packed so ive begun converting it to a fuge. my question is, how should i filter this inlet. the plan is to use filter socks but idk if two socks would be better than one big one. im open to just about any ideas.
  13. J

Candy Cane or Trumpet?

im pretty sure its a candy cane
  14. J

Seachem PhosGuard in a Reactor.

has anyone tried seachem phosguard? i was at the lfs today and decided to give it a shot since my phosphates have begun to climb. theyre at .25 and i have very light hair algae on the underside of a few of my rocks. i havent really been bothered by it since its been staying hidden for some...
  15. J

supplement hqi+t5 with 6500k?

i have a 60" 3x250w(i only run 2)hqi setup with 4x80w t5 actinics. i was considering replacing 2 of the actinics with 6500k daylights. right now the hqi's are 15k but once they need replaced im going with 20k's. as of right now i dont have a wide variety of coral but i probably will in the...
  16. J

What is this thing?

I found this living in one of my rocks. One side is smooth The other covered in bristles Another type of bristleworm? Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  17. J

oyster shells as substrate????

so i was looking at my tank and was punched in the you know whats with a epiphany. how is oyster shells any different than aragonite substrate(with the exception of grain size)? i have that oolite sand which is better known as that sand that blows everywhere. i hate it and have been itching for...
  18. J

pictures under actinics

i was curious how people get nice looking really colorful pics/videos? mine never show the color like i want. i tried reading that photo class sticky but thats more info than i wanted. i just wanted to know if there is some common setting that makes them look dull?
  19. J

gfo in reactors

i have a two little fishies phosban 150 which ive never even had to run. but i still have a question about properly using it. its seems like all the media comes in a bag and i never know if i should remove it from the bag when run in a reactor. a couple of medias i have looked at it chemipure...
  20. J

Condys and hermits

i read that the red leg hermit is a natural predator of the condy anemone. what about blue hermits? the grlfriend wants one and i dont wanna waste money. i already have a bta but since they sold me what is apparently a badly bleached i might see if theyll trade me. beside the red legs do i need...