Search results

1. L

HELP! Extreme Diatom Bloom, Brown Water

My bloom has cleared up! I apologize for the late response since it has been clear for some time now. I was told my landlord was going to sell my house and had to move so I took that chance to change all the water in the tank and try that method, but the algae came back just as strong as ever...
  2. L

Thanks for the responses. I'll keep you updated on how its going.
  3. L

Yeah that's about what I expected. I am starting RO water and have been looking at uv sterilizers. Any suggestions of which sterilizer is worth the money? I know that some may not work well because of too high flow. Thanks for helping.
  4. L

Thank you for your input. I thought the same thing about the darkness of the water, it couldn't be just a diatom bloom. That's why I took a sample in a test tube to the lab I work at. There is very little particulate matter other than the algae cells you see in the pictures. I used a...
  5. L

For the last ~9 months I have had this cloudy, brown water that will not go away. It is an algae bloom (I think a diatom of some kind) and I think i just have enough water movement and a large enough bloom to have it suspended in my water. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get rid...
  6. L

Coral for a 15 gallon

xenia and zoas are pretty but they can spread quickly so you will have to keep them in check.
  7. L

Huge Tank Water Changes - how do you do it?

Ahhhhh... You all are very sneaky with your reef-keeping. I learn new tricks every day.
  8. L

Huge Tank Water Changes - how do you do it?

Right now I have a tiny little 14g nano setup going on and I use little 5g buckets to do my water changes and I think that's cumbersome enough. How do you manage 20-30% water changed in a 200-400g tank!?!?! Do you use huge garbage cans? How long does it take to scoop the water into the tank...
  9. L

Still having issues with 125

I'm not entirely sure what to tell you because I'm not an expert on this topic, but could your anemones be releasing toxins into the water? They usually do this when they are stressed or dying but I have heard of cases where they release toxins for no real reason at all. It's really strange...
  10. L

Pufferfish

I don't have personal experience with puffers, but I have been reading up on them in hopes of getting one in a couple years. To help lessen the consumption of hermit crabs, I have heard of people putting a bunch of empty shells in the tank with the puffer and hermit crabs to help the crabs hide...
  11. L

can i handle an octopus?

Have you decided to order one? Any updates? I'm interested to see how it works out for you. I'm still too intimidated by them to try getting an octopus.
  12. L

Red Sea Max 250 for sale-new

This is such a tempting offer... If it was two years later I would probably take it, but I can't handle a tank that size yet :( Good luck with the sale!
  13. L

hello im new and need some help with my clown fish id really apriciate it!!

Like cheeks said, it's most likely mating behavior. I had a larger clownfish for a while and got a smaller one to be her mate after about 6 months of her being in my tank. She chased him around and nipped at him for a while and it got so bad she was causing him to jump out of the main tank and...
  14. L

New to Chaeto...Any Suggestions?

I have a BC14 and have been having trouble with nitrates and am looking at adding chaeto to my media basket. Right now my mediabasket has: 1st - filter floss (Changed biweekly to weekly) 2nd - carbon 3rd - nitrate sponge I also have a UV sterilizer (on for 12hrs/day), protein skimmer, and...