Pufferfish

tdtnc1986

I am starting a somewhat FOWLR tank in the next few weeks. Even though I will have to wait while cycling happens I am thinking about the livestock for this tank. The curator at the large lfs has informed me that with a dwarf species of lionfish is fine in a tank with hermit crabs and certain other inverts as a clean up crew so long as I stay away from ornamental shrimp. I am wondering if a smaller species of puffers such as the leopard puffer would leave these same inverts alone so long as it is kept well fed or if regardless of feeding that it will consume any invert I were to have in the tank. Any personal experience shared would be greatly appreciated.

pdawg

A pufferfish will most likely eat anything in a shell. These puffers have beaks and if they dont stay trimmed down they wont be able to open and close their mouth's anymore, much like a rabbits teeth, so they will look for things like hermit crabs to munch on and to also keep their beaks filed down.

Robzilla

+1. Couldn't have said it better myself. Puffers will eat pretty much anything. Mine sure does....

tdtnc1986

I just looked at the stock list for your tank and I am curious about something. How do your snails make it with your Valentini in the tank?

Robzilla

They have done a pretty good job of staying hidden in their shells during the day and do their work at night while the puffer sleeps. I also get my snails from John at ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae He hooks you up and they are cheap to boot. I just got a new clean up crew of what has to be like 200 snails for dirt cheap so if the puffer eats a few it isn't a big deal. I also try to keep the puffer fed with algae sheets on a clip inside the tank.

Robzilla

Here he is going after some
IMAG0021.jpg

tdtnc1986

Just to get your opinion on one other thing. This is going to be a relatively small tank by most saltwater standards (36 gallon bow front) I am trying to decide what kind of filtration to use. I would prefer not to use a sump based on the cost just to get one plus I am not trying to house corals, anemones, etc. So I'm left deciding between a hang on back and a canister filter. I know that fluval makes some higher end hang on backs though I wonder if the canister is a better choice given that I can adjust the media in it. Any thoughts?

Robzilla

Either one will work for a fowlr. Just make sure you keep up on cleaning them. Other than that, it just a matter of your own preference.

LittleFish

I don't have personal experience with puffers, but I have been reading up on them in hopes of getting one in a couple years. To help lessen the consumption of hermit crabs, I have heard of people putting a bunch of empty shells in the tank with the puffer and hermit crabs to help the crabs hide a little better (and give them a bunch of home choices). From what I have read it seems to make the puffer ignore the shells a little more than it would normally because it learns they do not contain food. Supposedly the puffer eventually ignores the shells because they are a part of the substrate like the sand and rocks. Doesn't completely solve the problem but it could be worth a shot.