Search results

1. C

Calling all Veterans....House move - Advice

Moving house in 10 days. Will be a full pack up into a truck and a five hour journey from door to door. Want to try to save my current set up..... The guys left in my tank have endured hell on a trike already so we can safely assume that they are hardy.... Current tenants of my 32 gallon...
  2. C

This is the end?

Went home to London for three days. Got back last night.... Looks like there was a powercut which tripped out my circuit breakers when it came back on about 2 hours after I left... Clown fish Dead Devil's hand dead Boxer shrimp Dead Bristle worm infestation....... removed visible...
  3. C

My new coral

i was in the LF buying a refractometer and he mentioned that he was in the middle of closing down one of his marine show tanks and had a hard coral left if I wanted it for free. he also gave me 2 free green chrons which I was going to buy anyway. When he gave me the coral he said is was hardy...
  4. C

DIY sump

The recent disaster I had has finally given me the balls to lose my canister filter and kick in my new sump and overflow box. I am a brit expat living in Istanbul and some things are very hard to get here so I went with a small home built sump. This one is a scaled down version of the huge...
  5. C

Major disaster.

Came home to 3 inches of water left in tank electric tripped out and an inch of water on the floor. My canister filter had blown a joint and continued to pump out my lovely cycled water all over the floor. Fish and verts all seemed happy in the water left in the tank. I cleared the floor...
  6. C

Major Panic....

Came in from work tonight to find my boxer shrimp in pieces all over the bottom of the tank, antennae, head , claws..the lot.... I nearly cried as I've trained him to come out and take shrimp sticks from my grabber. I fed the fish as normal and guess who came out from behind the rocks waiting...
  7. C

Warning about hermit crabs

I started my reef 2 months ago and started adding stock about a month ago...slowly slowly.... I noticed after 3 weeks i had the cutest hitcher....a baby hermit crab in the tiniest shell..maybe the size of your thumbnail... he was the most comical chap.... dragging this seeming huge shell...
  8. C

Pink Spot Goby and Green Chron

Just added Pink spot Goby and green chron to my 2 clown fish they all seem pretty happy and the cleaner shrimp seems to be in heaven introducing himself
  9. C

Wow wow wow

I just watched my cleaner shrimp hitch a lift on one of my new clowns... The clown went totally drunk and hovered on his side and let the shrimp tickle his gills like he was totally out of it..... wow....it seems everything in my tank relies on everything else...in this world we can all...
  10. C

leather Devi's hand not blooming

My water seems ok ..temp is OK ....its in middle of tank but is flopped over most of the time and totally smooth...sometimes it seems totally upright and happy but no blooms..... was ok for first week now doesn't bloom at all and seems to be getting green patches....
  11. C

New additions

I took a water sample to my LFSG and as promised he gave me two small Clowns as a gift and a nice piece of Medeterarian rock with some bits and pieces on. there seems to be a baby nem which is bright red. He said that it's Turkish and is very hardy and forgiving with light and will feed itself...
  12. C

Shrimps feeding

have had my clean up crew in the tank for three days now and the snails are going great guns all over the tank, the Conch's are always zipping through the sand and cleaning the bottom of the glass on the sand-bed line..my hermit crab follows the Conch's around and seems to be giving their shells...
  13. C

Photos of my first ever Corals

OK as requested I have tried to take some photos. please excuse the low quality as I used my sony phone. My new Cleaner Shrimp...seems to spend most of his time cleaning himself. A couple of my Turbos who seem to get everywhere and like to piggyback each other or throw someone that is...
  14. C

Cycling nice and added my first soft coral

Yesterday added a boxer shrimp and a cleaner shrimp as well as 5 baby turbo snails and three small burrowing conches as my first clean up crew. I added a Devil's hand soft coral to my tank today after adding strontium, iodine, calcium and magnesium supplements as directed on the bottles. The...
  15. C

Big day today

After all my earlier worries about my rock not doing anything and worms and stuff...suddenly today my tank seems to be full of life now.... I have loads of diatoms which people here say my tank has finished cycling... I have noticed about 6 tiny snails moving accross the rocks that were not...
  16. C

Worms??

I have had my 32 gallon tank fresh to marine conversion cycling for about 2 weeks now with 10kilo of live rock and sand. I put a deli shrimp in last week and it's doing the swelling up and ballooning thing now. All my tests look good and I have had my first spike. I...
  17. C

Hi my name's Gary I am a Brit Expat living in Istanbul and set up my first Reef tank this past Monday. Really excited and can't wait for cycling to kick in. Its really hard to leave it alone but its giving me time to hone my testing skills and read up on stock. The live rock has been going...