Search results

1. B

Why did my alkalinity drop?

and yes calcium reacts with alkalinity in a constant battle but this is not my case and i have a 160 gallon reef octopus bubble blaster skimmer so oxygen is not the problem. when i first started the lfs told me to add purple up everyday, not okay, not okay.
  2. B

Why did my alkalinity drop?

I have the same problem on my 60 gallon so i did a 50 percent water change and went from 7 to 9 carbonate hardness immediately then in a week it dropped down to 6. The guy at the lfs told me to check nitrates and sure enough it was in the 20's so i cleaned out my sulfur denitrator and did...
  3. B

overflow rating

go to reef central and look at the head loss chart i have a mag 7 with 4 nintys, union check valve , 4 feet high 2 feet across reduces my pump to 360gph. , so no your tank should be fine
  4. B

Straining food

why strain you food? corals and other critters will benifit from the leftovers.
  5. B

Help Needed!!!!

you need to use ro di or distilled water , you can buy a powdered substance that will kill the algae and then do a water change 2 days later
  6. B

New to Salt Starting a 60g

never eba eba eba ever use tap water, use distilled or ro di water, tanks lookin good though
  7. B

New to Salt Starting a 60g

throw that hydometer away and get a refractometer off ebay for 30 bucks, they are temperature sensitive and mine was 5 whole points off salinity was 1.31 I know right, and then get some peperment shrimp from reeftopia and very good deals, or somewhere you can get alot for cheap a got 10 for 3...
  8. B

What are these things??

I too have those cenipede things they are very small, I see them with thousands of pods when the moonlights are on, i think its ok
  9. B

Currently in the curing/maturing stage

when through 3 skimmers prism, cpr, coralife and now i am the proud owner of a reef octopus xp-2000sss, wasted like 400 bucks on junk , octopus just came out with a hang on back skimmer, but it's big and pricy, maybe the new cpr aroforce would be good for you
  10. B

PE mysis shrimp??

thats what i use the pescine or pe, shrimp it makes the most discolored fish come back to life, my friend soaks his in liquid garlic and his fish go crazy plus it plus it helps prevent disease
  11. B

Mandarin goby and ich

oh yea, and also get an ultraviolet light, it solves alot of problems i had with ick and red algae:laughroll
  12. B

Mandarin goby and ich

Hey bud, ick sucks i had it when i first started i bought some stuff from petco and it makes the glass nasty but it worked, also try not to buy fish with white spots, I heard that you can get it too from drastic temp changes like when you do water changes, so heat it to the same temp as the...
  13. B

Im new, i don't know what to do

Just kiddin, my names Ben and i have a 55 gal corner tank with a cpr overflow 900 gph, a eshopps reef sump, two little fishes phoshate reactor and a 9 watt ultraviolet light coralife running off a maxijet 1200, reef octopus 160 protein skimmer, mag 7 drive pump to lock line, korilia power head...