Currently in the curing/maturing stage

Myrten

Okay just a quick question about all this.. i am fascinated by this stuff basically... but i have a 30 gallon hex aquarium that has been cycling/maturing for 1 week now... live rock and sand is how i am starting btw.... the question i have is basically this. I have been reading on here everywhere about people with live rock and sand seeing/having worms and such coming out of the rock and seeing things alive on it.. i see nothing anywhere like that in my aquarium... should i be concerned? i know its only been a week but i spent a good bit for the "live rock" and besides some algae on it and good solid die off like i read about it nothing... Ty in advance for answers and sorry if its a dumb question...

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No need to worry. Depending on where it's from, how long since it was "there" etc you may not see much right now. As time goes by you'll see more and more.

Most people see the most life from really "LIVE" rock that was recently harvested from the ocean.

Add a deli shrimp, test, record the results and enjoy the "Cycle".

Myrten

cool ty for such a quick reply! I live in Henderson, Tx ad the LFS i use is in Tyler about 45 mins to an hour from me depending on traffic in Tyler... i am thinking of doing a 50% change this weekend on the water not sure yet, read somewhere where it said to do it and seem si remember reaidn somewhere where it said not to yet... also gonna go get me a good test kit this weekend as well...

Myrten

okay one more question, my current set up has a MarineLand bio wheel power filter good for up to 55 gallons, a Rio+ powerhead pushing 200 gallons/hour, and a 30-60 gallon i tank heater... a protein skimmer would be a good idea right? i have read up on them and am lookign around at them... found one thatss rated for p to 180 gallons... its fully submersible in tank...

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I wouldn't skimp on the skimmer, research and find a good tried and true skimmer, don't buy and regret. The companies will put anything on the box to make a sale.

An in tank skimmer, what brand? If it's an in sump skimmer you may want to go with a good hang on back, an in sump will flood the tank with bubbles.

Myrten

yeah i think i read worng.. it hangs on back... the pwoerhead sits int he tank... hopefully i can fit it with the power filter and all without havign to cut out the lid...

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I'd stay away from the coralife, prizums, and like skimmers. AquaC remora and a few other are a lot better, hopefully clownfish will stop in he has a HOB he likes a lot better than the Remora.

Best advice on skimmers is google and see what the people that own them say, the reviews on the sites are often wrote directly after purchase and by inexperienced people.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I have a 30 long with an HOB skimmer - a Warner Marine H1.

Being a clownaholic, I have had many smaller tanks. Have tried many skimmers, - Remora, Octopus (B2000, BH800F). The Warner Marine is my favorate hands down. It is quiet, and produces good quality skimmate. I clean the cup couple times a week. Here is what it is like today

005923486eff40e4ba48946228083eff.jpg

For an HOB, best I have tried. Don't have to tinker with it at all, which you have to on many.

iturra

Can look at CPR Aeroforce and Eshopps PSK-100H for cheaper ones. There around 130-200. Have not tried them. But reviews on them were decent. I ordered the eshopps on dr foster and smith but the back order was extended so I went with the CPR for my 60 gallon should be coming tomorrow. I starting my second week of the curing/cycling proccess right now. Only life I have seen so far is a few Aiptasia Anemone and a small snail. I did the deli shrimp for about 4 days but could stand the smell, so it is gone. Dosing with clear straight ammonia till the nitrites show zero.

Bennyboy515

okay one more question, my current set up has a MarineLand bio wheel power filter good for up to 55 gallons, a Rio+ powerhead pushing 200 gallons/hour, and a 30-60 gallon i tank heater... a protein skimmer would be a good idea right? i have read up on them and am lookign around at them... found one thatss rated for p to 180 gallons... its fully submersible in tank...

when through 3 skimmers prism, cpr, coralife and now i am the proud owner of a reef octopus xp-2000sss, wasted like 400 bucks on junk , octopus just came out with a hang on back skimmer, but it's big and pricy, maybe the new cpr aroforce would be good for you

Myrten

well update on the skimmer is this,... my wife's car had a front ball-joint drop out! there went the money for that... but sincei am still in cycling stage i think iw uill just hold a week or to and do some ater changes tiol i can get a good one.. new question though...

What do i look for ina refractometer? there are so many with diff ranges and stuff...