Search results

1. crass

external or internal skimmer

Hi Guys Thinking of ditching my internal skimmer and plumbing up an external skimmer straight to the overflow of my tank. Is this unnecessary ? what are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance Dean
  2. crass

Ph perplexed

Hi all Recently I have had large ph swings (7.4-7.9) so I have now addressed this issue by. I did all this from the 25th march Turning off my calcium reactor Adding a bigger kalkwasser mixer (Deltec) to my ATO Taking an air source from my loft that is open and ventilated with external air My...
  3. crass

Skimmer advice

Hi all I have a little problem that keeps cropping up and I want to resolve it. Tank is a total of 550 ltrs Firstly my ph struggles to get over 7,5 - I have taken a line to receive outside air supply, my water values are spot on. Ca-450 Mag-1380 KH-10.9 Sal-1.025 I have had to stop running...
  4. crass

Sps ID

Hi guys I have no idea what I have here... Its deep burgandy with a green haze! top view side view many thanks Dean
  5. crass

Ritteri Amenone and flat tentacles

Hi Guys I bought a ritteri anemone today and it looks very healthy. After 2 hours its seemed to go flat. But mouth is tight. I placed it high up in the tank an a flat rock which it attached itself immediately. It has a nice flow from a wavebox and a powerhead on the far side of the tank that...
  6. crass

Anthia Harem!

Hi guys I am looking to add some of the more hardy anthia species to my tank. I have read that they should be kept in harems of one male and several females. Now is several 3, 5 or above? The types Im looking at Carberryi Anthias (Nemanthias carberryi) and Maldives Lyretail Anthias...
  7. crass

Goby and Pistol shrimp pairing

Hi Guys I managed to get a picture of my HH pistol shrimp. I was wondering what type it is and what would be my best option when pairing him with a goby? many thanks Dean
  8. crass

Sps Identification

Hi guys I was kindly donated a SPS coral by a guy who is quiting the hobby. I went to go buy some gear off him and he also gave me his last item in his tank. It is purple with a green hue. I suspect I have it standing incorrectly in my tank ATM ....should I place it on its side with...
  9. crass

"cooking" sand

Hi guys I was given sand by a mate who has had it standing in a bag in a box for the last 6 months in a dark dry cellar. Im wanting to use it in my FOWLR system I have that currently has no sand. How should I go about this? Thanks Dean
  10. crass

is this Dino?

Hi Guys After having problems with my Alk,PH and Mag I started getting this outbreak....never seen it before and was wondering what it is. I have just put in New T5 and ordered new carbon, rowaphos to help fight the problems. My MH are 6 months old but I have kept them off for the last 2...
  11. crass

Too wavebox or not too wavebox?

Hi guys Im thinking with Christmas approaching fast I need to get my wishlist off to Santa ASAP! I was thinking of a Tunze wavebox for my tank and get rid of a few of these blasted powerheads. I Norway everybody raves about them.... but then again they also like Audi. So that makes me...
  12. crass

HQI and T5 combination.

Hi guys I need to change out my T5 bulbs on my light unit and was wondering what would be the best setup. I use the LED as moon light(never used with the other bulbs), The T5 as sunrise/sunset and suppliment to my HQI and HQI as midday light. My light unit currently runs 2x HQI- 250w...
  13. crass

asternia star

Hi Guys Im starting to be overun by these little critters....Do they have a natural predator? I understand that harlequin shrimps love these...but in Norway they are very expensive, so is there another option? (wrasse or boxershrimps) My current live stock is 2 clowns and a mandarin fish...
  14. crass

CA, Ph ,KH and MG problems.

Hi Guys ..... Im sure this has been covered 1000 times before.....but my searches dont turn up my particilar problem. My current values are as such. (Salifert test kits) Ca- over 500ppm KH- 6.1 MG-1200ppm PH-7.1 (iodine undetectable) I use kalkwasser in my RO/DI water at half the...
  15. crass

Sump divider glass

Hi Guys I have just repaired a broken aquarium with the intention to turn it into a sump. What thickness of glass should I use for the dividers? many thanks Dean
  16. crass

canister filter used as fluidised reactor

Hi Guys I have a question. I have a 1000ltr/ph canister filter just sitting in the loft and I was wondering if I could turn it into a fluidised reactor for bio pellets? Basically the intake for the water in mine is at the bottom and the turbine to push it into the tank is at the top. I was...
  17. crass

Oxygen and the Nitrogen cycle

Hi I was have a look at the LFS today and got asked a question I couldnt answer. The guy has had his tank for 3 months now and he asked me this. Does Oxygen effect the nitrogen cycle? by this he ment does NO2 break down O2 to make NO3? his point was... if this would help keep nitrates down...
  18. crass

New appearance in my QT!

Hi guys I bet this has been asked million times before.....ID pls and should I panic!!!.......lol
  19. crass

quarantine

Hi all I have just purchased a CB Butterfly! and have him all happy in his quaratine tank. I was wondering duing his 8 weeks should I also start with hyposalinity? or would his time in a bare tank be enough? and should I treat/medicate for parasites (internal)? if so what do you suggest to...
  20. crass

Balling system vs Reactors system

Hi guys My tank has been up and running now for over 10 months and I have done some research into LPS/SPS. My equipment needs will now grow as I branch into this area, and wrong investment in equipment hopefully can be avoided! my question is which is the best route to go down. route...