Search results

1. V

LED Lighting

Greetings all, I've had a halide lighting system for 3 years now and all is well, life is good within the display. I believe I have a balast that has blown because one of my actinic bulbs is out and there is a smell of something burnt out noticeable upon entering the room. Since it's also...
  2. V

Can you ID theses?

I've seen these in my system off and on for a while. They are usually on the back wall but today I found one on the front glass. Any ideas on what they are?
  3. V

My Skimmer Delima

I made the mistake of not testing my skimmer before I started my cycle and I'm finding that it dosen't seem to be working like it should. The removal collection cup section seems to be filling with water instead of bubbles. I removed the cap because it was being pushed off anyway. As you...
  4. V

A Couple Cycling Questions

Greetings all, I'm about to start my cycle using live sand/rock and I have a couple of questions I'm hoping to get clarity on. 1 - Should I use the lights as I would once the cycle is complete and live stock is introduced? 2 - When should I turn on the skimmer? 3 - When should I...
  5. V

Rocks found on Maui Shore

Hello reef world I got a question for yous. I did a little snorkeling (Maui is AWESOME!!) and I came across some really pretty coral rock pieces in some brush along the shore. There's no life on them and I'm thinking they'd be nice souvenier pieces for my tank and since I've yet to cycle, this...
  6. V

Apex Controller Questions

Hello RS family, I have a few questions about my newly purchased Apex Aquacontroller. I've managed to hook everything up but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to program the outlets on the Energy Bar. Can somebody guide me in laymen's term's how to do this? I had a similar problem trying...
  7. V

Virgil's 125 Gallon Dream Reef

Well finally at long last, I think I'm actually ready to start my build thread for my dream reef. This has been a long time coming as I've been reading, researching and buying equipment for over a year now preparing for the day when I could set up my very own piece of the ocean. While I'm a...
  8. V

Fumigation Preparation

Hello all, I'm almost ready to start the build of my 125g reef. I've spent months getting all the equipment and short of one or two items, I'm ret to go! One of the last things I have to do before putting water into the DT is to address a termite problem. Terminex says they have to tent to...
  9. V

Apex Controller & Tunze Nano 6055

Greetings fellow reefers. I'm researching controllers and powerheads for my soon to be started 125g reef system. I'm leaning towards the Apex controller for all of its beels and whistles. I also like the particulars of the Tunze Nano Stream 6055 powerhead. My question to those with knowledge...
  10. V

Live Rock vs Total Water Volume

Greetings........I have a question for those of you in the know. I'm almost done buying equipment while setting up to build a 125 reef system and I have a question about the quantity of required live rock. When buying live rock, I'm reading that one should have 1 - 1.5 lbs of live rock per...
  11. V

Southern California Reefer

Greetings all, I still consider myself new to the game even though I had a s/w system 20 years ago. I'm back in full force and almost ready to put water in my system. I'm interested in meeting some local people or at least exchanging info with people closer to me just to feel more connected...
  12. V

Water Storage

Greetings, I'm trying to understsand the ins and outs of SW/FW storage and I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer for me. 1. Is there a concern for how long you can store iether? 2. What is the process to make my own SW? 3. Can adequate mixing done by simply...
  13. V

Controller Compatibility Question

Greetings Fellow Aquarium Enthusiests, I'm building a 125g reef systm (still) and I have a question on controllers. After reading numerous threads and various bits of info, I've come to the conclusion that Tunze powerheads seem to have a lower noise level than the Vortex MP40W powerhead I was...
  14. V

Power Outage

Greetings everyone, I'm setting up a 125 gal reef system and I'm researching and trying to consider everything before I put water in the tank. I have this habit of thinking about worse case scenerios and came up with the question that I'm hoping someone can speak to. I was thinking what would...
  15. V

Overflow Tube

Can someone please give me a quick DIY "how to" for an overflow method known as a "Dursa tube"? Thanks Virgil
  16. V

Friendly Hello

Greetings one and all! My name is Virgil and I'm starting up a reef tank again. I had a 60 gallon reef set-up for a short time about 20 years ago and set it up again as a freshwater Chiclid tank after moving. My desire to go reef has been re-ignited so I recently bought a 125 gallon...