Controller Compatibility Question

vdf8ball

Greetings Fellow Aquarium Enthusiests,
I'm building a 125g reef systm (still) and I have a question on controllers. After reading numerous threads and various bits of info, I've come to the conclusion that Tunze powerheads seem to have a lower noise level than the Vortex MP40W powerhead I was considering to add to my system. So Tunze it is but now I need to learn which controller(s) they would be compatible with. What better place to search for an answer than the RS family? Does anyone out there have knowledge of this subject? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much ;-)

DaveK

If you just want to turn them on and off, then any controller can work with Tunze powerheads.

However, if you want the random, variable flow the Tunze pumps can provide, then you are most likely going to need one of their controllers. This isn't as bad as it sounds, since It's just something controlled another way.

One downside is that Tunze equipment is very expensive, but I got to say it is of excellent quality. Most people that have had them love everything but the price.

I sure have no plans to replace my Tunze Stream pumps and controller.

vdf8ball

Thanks Dave. I've looked at the Tunze controllers but thought I may want to have the option to monitor/control temp & ph as well. Am I correct in that the Tunze controllers do not provide that option? For that reason, I was waiting for all to say the Apex might be a better controller option. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for your input

Virgil

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The Neptune APEX might work for your needs.

Here's a quote from Neptune's sight about the Apex & Tunz

4 Integrated Variable Speed Ports

0 to 10V output interface

Can directly control up to 4 Tunze stream pumps (like AquaSurf)

Can dim ballasts with 0 to 10V interfaces (life some T5 ballasts)

Woody

I believe that the Profilux controller will also control the Tunze powerheads if you are looking for all the bells and whistles.

8 x Tunze stream controllable with the addition of a single cable, no Tunze controller required. Tunze wave box controllable.

· Hydor Koralia 12v controllable using pump control-1 expansion box.

· Pump control for controllable and non-controllable pumps (see above), different pump groups with different settings, waves, ebb-flow, surge, random, sequences, shortest wave duration 0,4 s, therefore also suited for wave boxes

This is from the description for the III model, but I think the II model still controls Tunze. Someone else may have to chime in about the pros and cons of the different controllers.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I believe that the Profilux controller will also control the Tunze powerheads if you are looking for all the bells and whistles.

This is from the description for the III model, but I think the II model still controls Tunze. Someone else may have to chime in about the pros and cons of the different controllers.

That, my friend, is my DREAM controller :) If I have my way (and win the lottery) that's the controller I'll be running on my new tank in the new house next year.

vdf8ball

That, my friend, is my DREAM controller :) If I have my way (and win the lottery) that's the controller I'll be running on my new tank in the new house next year.

Wow Big Al! That says a lot coming from you as I place high value on your opinon. I need to look into that one. Thanks Woody ;-)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Wow Big Al! That says a lot coming from you as I place high value on your opinon. I need to look into that one. Thanks Woody ;-)

Well thanks for the kind words :) I'm not sure they are warranted but very appreciated!

That controller isn't cheap by any means but I think it may even wash your car if you get the right module for it :)