Water Storage

vdf8ball

Greetings,
I'm trying to understsand the ins and outs of SW/FW storage and I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer for me.

1. Is there a concern for how long you can store iether?

2. What is the process to make my own SW?

3. Can adequate mixing done by simply putting a circulation pump in the container or do I stirr by hand first?

4. How long does mixed SW need to sit before I can use it?

5. For my FW storage container, should I have a circulation pump in there as well?

Thanks for your time :)

Virgil

125g acrylic - empty
29g sump
12g refugium:contract:

1Reefer

1. I'm not all to sure, but I have stored saltwater over two weeks and fresh water much longer than that...

2. Add water, add heater and pump, plug heat and pump in, add salt, wait for temp and adjust salinity

3. No need to stir by hand

4.the usual rule is 24 hours, but I use it as long as its the right temp and the salt is all mixed in and the water has cleared again, and the SG is correct of course

5. IMO only if you plan on storing a large quanity for a long period of time. I store in 1 gallon jugs for long periods of time no problem, and my ATO holds 10 gallons and also doesn't have a pump, works fine...

Hope that helps ya out Virgil... just my opinion on things but hopefully others jump in as well

lcstorc

I keep 60g fresh and 60g salt around at any given time. I have a pump that constantly keeps the salt stirred and I wait at least 24hrs after mixing before I use the SW. I have kept it over a month easily without a problem but I wouldn't keep it that long without the pump mixing it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto to above :)

I always let my freshly mixed SW "Stew" for 24hrs and re-test it. I've had a few times where the reading 24hrs later has been significantly higher than it was initially.

essmaker

PREMIUM
I am getting close to getting my own RO unit and will be storing some water, so thanks for the questions and answers! Saves me from posting them later. :)