Search results

1. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

cyano problem

at this time I have a small outbreak of cyano in my tank. it's not a large mass but bunch of small masses about the size of a dime right now and some smaller. How can I get rid of it. I will try and get pics within the next day or so and post. 55 gal ph 8.2 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 sg...
  2. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

hey everyone goong thru a rough time

hey everyone at RS, I know it's been awhile, first off got married october 8, and then on october 12 got bad news that I have throat cancer. going thru radiation treatments and chemo. so my tank on a holding pattern with 2 damsels, a few hermit crabs, and 1 snail. I will try be around when...
  3. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

brown algae trying to over take my tank

I have a 55 that is slowly becoming a fowlr, at this time I have between 9 - 13 lb of lr in it right now. the open area of the sand with no lr, the top of the sand is covered in brown algae. some stats: ph > 8.2 nh3/nh4 > 0 no2 > 0 no3 > 5.0 ca2 > 420 lighting 10K 18" x2 have a protien...
  4. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

working fowlr in progress

it's been awhile since i posted because of no internet, over at a friend and posting this. My 55 had gone from a FW to BW and to FOWLR. At this time not much in there except for about 12 lbs of LR, 1 Blue devil, 1 snail and 2 red leg hermits. I still have more work to do on this tank like...
  5. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

Figure 8 Puffer with sunken belly

I had notice today that one of my figure 8's belly is sunken in. The other figure 8 and my two knight gobies are fine and eating. just this one figure 8 he's not eating at all and he would swim around off and on and rest of the time he stays at the bottom of the tank. What would cause this and...
  6. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

need input building a simple FOWLR tank

I decided to turn my 55 into a simple FOWLR tank. This process will be slow, currently my tank is brackish with SG setting between 1.015 - 1.019. My only concern is filtration, currently running filtration equipment when this tank was a freshwater. Should I build a sump for a FOWLR tank, this...
  7. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

question on puffer's and brackish water

I have 2 figure 8 puffers and 2 green spotted puffers. the SG is 1.010. I need to know what are different foods do these guys eat, my lfs says plankton and I know snails also, but what other food will they eat, either freeze dried or frozen. I decided to maintain my 55 as a BW tank. Thinking...
  8. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

looking for idea's for a canister mod

This is still being planned. I was wondering if there can be a mod made for the intake side of the canister, like using a internal overflow with PVC in a U shape. with the down tube be about 1 to 2 times bigger in diameter than the intake tubing that goes to the canister and then at the bottom...
  9. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

does anyone knows what snails could live in brackish water.

I'm not much on freshwater snails, because they can get out of control real fast. What freshwater snails can live in brackish water with a SG 1.016. The reason I ask is I have 1 MST (that was uninvited. at first it was less than 1/8" now it's about 3/4") in my tank with a SG 1.015 - 1.016.
  10. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

have multiple questions that i'm seeking answers to

1> I have ghost shrimps in my tank. In the beginning it was plain ghost shrimps and ghost shrimps with red bad on the antenna, front legs. Trying to figure out which ghost shrimp with the red band are. because it's these that survive in my tank with the initial 30 of both type, only 8 survive...
  11. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

what's an appropriate size heater

Most of you know I got a thread about a problem i spotted with my heater, but that heater is in my 55. This question on the heater size is for my other tank. It's a 75 with a 55 sump broken into 3 section and the total water volume in the sump is between 30 gallons to 35 gallons that will be...
  12. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

question on heaters

I think my heater might be going bad on me not sure. This is the problem during the day the temp is around 76.9F and in the evening it would go anywhere 77.4F - 79.5F, the thing is to get it at these temp the heater is set on around 81F. The heater is vertically, I also notice a little bit of...
  13. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

question on refractometer

I had purchased a Sybon FG100sa refractometer at my lfs. It just came with a case, refractometer, synthetic suede cloth, small screw driver for adjustment, and a pipette. I didn't get any calibration fluid. So my question is how can I tell when I need to calibrate and what should i use to...
  14. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

looking for suggestions on brackish tanks

My 55 isn't no longer a barb tank, decided to breed and raise mollies. planning on a sg 1.05 - 1.12 and ph 7.6 or bit higher for my mollies. it's been about 14 years since i had a brackish mollie tank. So I'm having trouble on recalling equipment that i had used back then. 1> how much salt per...
  15. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

help need input on a DIY CO2 Diffusior

would any have any ideas on this one or links to one. I was up almost all night last night like from 2:30am to now ( 4:58 pm ). So everything i had read on DIY CO2 ..... well we can say it went out of the window as the day progress to night. I'm planning on running 4 2 liter soft drink...
  16. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

Sinister 55g FW build

Finally getting a tank built after all this time. got my new 55 gal tank yesterday morning, painted the back glass, got a heater , power filter, power heads, digtal thermometer, gravel in the tank yesterday. I also filled the tank and add the dechlorine, aquarium salt, then ran the tank all day...
  17. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

Question about Driftwood

Hey everyone, been awhile since I been up on RS, been busy. I'll be getting a 55g tank here in couple of months. I like to have it about half planted and 1/2 driftwood or somethig like that. I can't see paying for driftwood, so I'm planning on going down along the banks of the Ohio River...
  18. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

Looking for DIY Wet/Dry Trickle Filter

I know ther's allot of DIY when it comes to SW tanks, but are there DIY's for FW system? I would like to build a wet/dry trickle filter for my 75g cichlid tank. I have no idea where to start on a build like this, so if anyone can post links or where to look at a build like this, it would be very...
  19. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

Basic supplies to have on hand

I'mdoing my best to remember what items in the past that I wish I had on hand. There where a few things that I did recall, but i know there more items I should have in case something comes up, and the situation can be fix right there, especially during the night when the stores are closed for...
  20. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

looking for ideas for a second tank

First let me say when I had planned out my 75 to be reef before it was put on the back burner for now and into a African Rift Lake tank, This build is still going to happen, I Had put a 55 gal tank setup with a wrought iron stand in layway at my lfs. So that where this second tank comes in at...