looking for ideas for a second tank

First let me say when I had planned out my 75 to be reef before it was put on the back burner for now and into a African Rift Lake tank, This build is still going to happen, I Had put a 55 gal tank setup with a wrought iron stand in layway at my lfs. So that where this second tank comes in at.

For this tank it had been decided on from day one that it would be a FW tank, and it was originally gonna be my African Rift Lake tank until my 75 got promoted for that job. So now I'm trying to figure a nice biotope for this tank. Since there are so many different river systems in the worl with different ecology, is why it's kinda rough to decide on. This tank would be built as close to the natural enviroment including maintaning the water parameter for this biotope.

So I think I'm I'm asking in a way is what great looking fish that schools or not looks great, but of course what part of the world is their natural habitiat. Then I can research and narrow down their natural habitat as far as what is there, if it's a rocky bottom or a sand bottom or mixture, then plants that would be common, and also the ph, hardness, if there's carbonate like with the african rift lakes then that. and try and achieve those levels.

My ex wife suggested that I build another Mollie tank or a angel tank. Angels are nice but I would like this tank not have any types of cichlid either they be african, south american, or new world. I had thought about mollies, raising and breeding, but it would mean building the tank right on the verge of fresh water and brackish water, to get the success that I had in the past. Also with building a mollie tank I would have to get a 3rd tank between 38g - 55g to use as a rearing tank for the fry.

I don't really want to recreate something I had done in the past, I want something new that can offer it's own new challenges. I know some of you will say turn it into a planted tank. I would have to :lol with that one, because it could be a planted tank depending on it's biotope.

I had decided on this 55 when I get it. I'll be doing a planted tank, it will be a mix community. I like the Rose Line Aka Torpedo, and few rainbows, and barbs that I'm still deciding on.

One reason this route is because my 75 is already slated to be African Rift Lake tank, it will have Lake Malawi Mbuna's in it.

So I will have a 55 planted community and a 75 Malawi Mbuna tank. I will be keeping a tank chronical's on my computer, and when I can get a camera to get pictures, then I'll post my tank chronical here in the FW forum.

DaveK

55 gal tanks, because they are only 12 inches or so wide, are very difficult to aquascape. However, because you want a planted tank, there is some hope.

What I would do is get some large flat red slate rocks from your LFS. These are thin, and if needed can easily be split, using a hammer and cold chisel. You want rocks about 1 inch thick.

Set the rocks up toward the back so the large rock face is vertical. Then plant the tank wit long, tall plants. Giant Val is a good choice and easy to grow. If you have enough light, the low cost bunch plants can work well too. So can some of the long narrow crypts.

What you are going for here are narrow, but tall rocks and plants. This makes up for the narrow tank.

As for fish, the various species of rainbows would make a fantastic looking tank, but they can get rather expensive.

My personal choice would be to use mostly various species of tetras, choosing ones that have some good color. I tend to like the smaller ones, but congo tetras look fantastic when then get to adult sizes. Tetras will school, and the effect is really nice if you have something like 8 to 12 fish of the same species. Each one almost looks like a jewel against the planted background. Also, most tetras are inexpensive.

Then round out the display with a few catfish, and loaches on the bottom, and a few surface fish like hatchets and your all set.

As for the eels, they are interesting, and would be very different, but I just can't get excited about them. A personal choice though.

Obviously, these are mostly South American fish, and in this case we do "cheat" a little on the biotype, since large flat rocks are used. In reality it should be more tree roots, a mud bottom and dark water rich in tannin. It's kind of a trade off of aquascapeing verses a perfect match on the biotype.

In reality it should be more tree roots, a mud bottom and dark water rich in tannin. It's kind of a trade off of aquascapeing verses a perfect match on the biotype.

I agree, we can only get as close to the biotope that we can, and by getting as close as you can would be a thing to be proud of.

As far as eels goes. I like them and then again i don't. I don't like FW eels, but SW eels I love. So there will be no eels in this tank.

This tank might become a more mix community of tetra's and barbs and of course a few rainbows. I'll probably add a scholl of small tetras, since the ones I'm looking only grow up to about an 1".

Either way this tank would be fun to build.

I have a question that I know you guys could give me a good answer to. with a planted tank what is the good/bad of either running CO2 or not running CO2?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Only downside to Co2 is the cost :)

If you want to speak with someone that can tell you all the ins and outs, call Green Leaf Aquariums and talk to Orlando. They have great customer service even if your not buying at the moment.

If you need to run CO2 or not depends on the plants you have. Some plants require supplement CO2, some don't, you just have to do some research. Although it's generally a good idea to run CO2 in a planted tank because of the amount of plants.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
DIY for a 55 gallon stocked would be a hassle but you are right if someone had the urge to keep up with it, that is an option.

DaveK

My take on CO2 is that it can help difficult plants thrive, and most plants will grow faster.

However, it's not a critical item, You can grow fantastic plants without it, but you do need to be a little selective in what plants you use.

My preference has always been to add more fish if I wanted more CO2, it costs little, and the tank looks better.