looking for suggestions on brackish tanks

My 55 isn't no longer a barb tank, decided to breed and raise mollies.

planning on a sg 1.05 - 1.12 and ph 7.6 or bit higher for my mollies. it's been about 14 years since i had a brackish mollie tank. So I'm having trouble on recalling equipment that i had used back then.

1> how much salt per gallon to achieve 1.05 to 1.12 SG?
2> Filtration, should I use my DIY sump I had built and use a protien skimmer for brackish tank.

I'm planning on turning my 75 into this brackish tank.

Also I wasn't sure where to post this, if this is in the wrong forum I'm sorry and a mod can move this to the proper forum.

1) well half a cup of salt usually gets you to 1.21, so half of that, so 1/4 cup per gallon should be right, just double check on the brand of salt you buy that thats right
2) i have never done a brackish tank, but why not, the protein skimmer just might not be as effieciant, not really sure about that tho. perhaps someone elese knows the answer to this

DaveK

The big trick with brackish water tanks is to come up with a good aquascape. In FW tanks you can grow plants. In reef systems you can keep corals and related items. It's a lot harder in a brackish tank.

That being said, you could have a really nice molly tank, especially if you can find some of the serious sailfin mollies.

Mollies and the other usual brackish water fish are usually hardy, and usually do well. I have found that obtaining mollies that I'd really want to keep to be a difficult task. Most of the ones being sold by LFSs today, IMO, rate as garbage.

You might look around and be able to find a few types of plants that will tolerate the brackish water. You have a lot of latitude here because you can keep the water at the lower SG.

If you need a rough estimate on how much salt to use, you can figure a pound of salt makes about 3 gal of water at 1.025. So if you need water at 1.005, you would need 1/5 the amount of salt. That 1 pound of salt will make about 15 gal of water at 1.005, or about 7 1/2 gal at 1.010. With that information, you can figure how much you need for any amount of water and SG.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Great stuff Dave.
One thing to keep in mind is accuracy in salinity depends on your ability to measure salt content correctly. I highly recommend using a refractometer for this adventure.