Question about Driftwood

Hey everyone, been awhile since I been up on RS, been busy. I'll be getting a 55g tank here in couple of months. I like to have it about half planted and 1/2 driftwood or somethig like that.

I can't see paying for driftwood, so I'm planning on going down along the banks of the Ohio River looking for some nice looking driftwood to use in my aquascaping.

My only thing is, as i search the internet on preparing driftwood, I've came across different methods to prepare the wood. the one thing that is copmmon using a stiff brush clean the piece of wood and remove any bark if it has any. but from there the rest of preparing is different.

So I'm asking those that had or is curently running a FW system and go out and get your own drift, how do you prepare the drift wood for aquarium use.

I like to get started on preparing driftwood now so that way once i get the tank I can probably start using it by then.

1Reefer

I just soak in freshwater for as long as possible... to let anything that may be in the rock leach out. It will leach a lot of color out before it goes into your tank doing this as well....