Search results

1. scuba22

Punk Cuke Stress

hey all... My new pink cucumber - who is quite large (about 8") is eviscerating from stress. I think he will be ok once settled but my question is shall i try to remove the entrails from the tank? I've done water changes and everyone else looks ok. here's a photo...thanks so much!
  2. scuba22

Pj Cardinal's Clutch

mY pjS seem to have had a clutch, and the smaller one has a 'full mouth' and hides for days @ a time, until, I suspect he hides the babies and eats ravenously! Does anyone have experience w/ PJs breeding in captivity? I can post an image of the full mouth pose...also I have 2 tangs and a...
  3. scuba22

spaghetti worms as killers

Hi everybody_ has anyone ever had the experience where their spaghetti worms (or a similar variety) has overtaken a mushroom or polyp rock and 'strangled' these to extinction? I feel that this has been the demise of a well populated yellow polyp colony in my reef, nearby red mushrooms are...
  4. scuba22

Bright Green Algea spots

Hi all I have a 15g Hosp tank, that houses a Ocellaris,a small blue damsel and 3 hermut crabs. This tank is an adjunct to my 55g - when my clown pair hit maturity it was obvious one was not going to make it - so I separated them. Anyhow, I had a constant diatom bed for 5 months, which...
  5. scuba22

Starfish ID

Found this today on my glass. I'm thinking starfish..but can anyone give me a more specific ID? Thanks!
  6. scuba22

Coralline Algea

Hi everyone - so sorry I have not posted / replied in a while. I have a quick question re: coralline algea: My tank is 8 months old, 55 corner and although I have a bit growing on the loose rock on the bottom, I don't have alot.My Ca++ is 450, (I supplement) - how can I foster the...
  7. scuba22

orange tube

Hi all.. my orange tube has stopped coming out the past 3-4 days. I used to feed him BS daily but cup back, and now he's ticke off at me. *see before and after a merer 7 days apart! .next post. numbers: 78.5 degrees ph 8.2 nitrite/ammonia 0 nitrate <20 Ca++ 430 KH 11 and solid
  8. scuba22

Hermit Crab Love

I have one hermit crab who simply will not leave my yellow buttons alone -He gets knocked off, thrown to the other side of the tank etc.. and decidely trucks right back to them at the top of the reef. Any ideas? Think it could be love?:heart: :dunno:
  9. scuba22

leather coral

For some reason my leather is reeelly taking a nose-dive. It's pale, mush looking, but not feeling and cannot get it's polyps out well. Not to mention it's bent over and barely standing up during the day. all my numbers are good (my nitrates run 20 ppm and have been for a long time - it's my...
  10. scuba22

Drooping leather

Happy New years all! I am having a problem with my yellow leather coral; it's gotten pale and yesterday took to a droop that it is not recovering from. Polyps are partially out, and it has had this brownish-red growth on it's trunk. I do weekly iodine additions and my parameters are as...
  11. scuba22

Bare Bottoms?

What are the pros and cons of a bar bottom tank? What are everyone's preferences?
  12. scuba22

another lesson learned

I have a hospital tank that houses one of my ocellaris clowns ("Carl") -separated from his mate ("Ruthie") when they matured and fought, some of you may remember- anyway, I added a very very small bl & white damsel ("Al") to the tank about a month ago for entertainment, companionship etc... for...
  13. scuba22

regal tang cut me!

Just a quick note...while feeding my yellow coral, my regal tang , as usual was trying to steal the brine shrimp. As I shussed her away somehow her top fins caught me finger and gave me a hell of a cut (and scared both of us!):bouncebox who knew?
  14. scuba22

a little late...

I've been posting for about 6 months but never really formally intoduced myself! I'm Michele, a nurse from Boston <Cardiac Cath, OR, ICU now in research> who set up her first tank -right to the reef- in may 05. I'm very green:grr: , but have alot of motivation. I have a 54g corner tank w/ an...
  15. scuba22

Bad Tubes

Has anyone ever tried plugs that assist with equalizing? My last dive vacation ( 6 dives in 10 days - no deeper than 40 ft) left me with a 3 wk long hearing loss. I just cannot seem to equalize my left ear.:tears: My doc told me my eustacean tubes , "weren't meant for diving" so...
  16. scuba22

red on my yellow

Hi all... I hope this isn't a really stupid question, but what are these red spots on my Leather coral? <at the base> As you can see he's huge and healthy..it kinda looks like algea to me but I'm too green to guess, never mind pontificate. So, if anyone has any info for me as always, it will...
  17. scuba22

Spider web

Wish I had a good image , but on one of my LR I have a gray/green web-like growth. I've broken into it and it's like a spider web or cocoon material and nothing is in it, visibly...but it keeps returning. Are any reef creatures known to create a web like this? The only new thing I've noticed...
  18. scuba22

SNaiL

Wierd as it may seem..my snail likes Romaine! My Regal and yellow Tang LOVE it...the sleeper goby steals bites every now and then and the clown takes nibbles of floating bits. But, the snail is a new one on me...he slimed and licked and suckled this leaf for a good 2 hrs! He now makes a...
  19. scuba22

Regal Tang Vs Bristle Worm

Hey all.. Happy Thanksgiving! question: my regal tang had a run-in with our fire worm, I believe. She's got, well...about 8 bristles stuck in her by her dorsal fin. Can this massive worm hurt her or any other fish? might these bristles be stinging her now? -she seems unaffected-...
  20. scuba22

Leather Bumps

okay guys..as you all know, I am new to reef-keeping (6-months), ..what is that is fish-years?... anyway, what are these newly found bumps or fingers on my yellow leather? thanks as usual for helping me learn ... Michele:thumbup: