Search results

1. P

Is that a friend or foe?

Hey! The green thing in the middle, is that Aiptasia?
  2. P

Green Chromis dying off

I seem to have terrible luck with Green Chromis. I originally bought 5 and over the weeks they died off until only 1 was left. They all disappeared without a trace. They all seemed healthy and were eating before they disappeared. My water params were fine. Anyways months passed and I...
  3. P

BTA splitting or sick?

It's mouth seems to be stretching. Does that mean it will split soon? Or is it starting to get sick? The rest of the anemone looks healthy. It's all bubbled up and has been eating well. I'll try to get a photo of the mouth. Right now the tentacles are in the way.
  4. P

Little sand grain sized things

I have these little sand grain sized things swimming around in a hole on my live rock. Unfortunately they are too small to photograph with my camera. They look brown and swim very fast back and forth. Any ideas what they are?
  5. P

Need help identifying these things

Been fighting some terrible hair algae for a while now. Anyways it's starting to go away and some other stuff has appeared. #1 Some bubbly algae looking stuff: IMG_3243 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! #2 A tiny neon yellow/green feather duster looking thing but with nothing sticking out...
  6. P

Getting rid of bubbles

I have a ATS that sits maybe 2 feet above my display. The drain from the ATS goes straight into the display and I'm getting a lot of bubbles from it. Someone suggested adding a tee to the drain to let the air out. Does that section have to be higher than the ATS water level? Or can it just...
  7. P

did adding sand kill some of my fish?

I just finished a tear down/rebuild of my 90g tank. All my fish/inverts were put into a large rubbermaid bin with a powerhead/heater and one big piece of live rock. The rest of the live rock was stored in a separate bin with a powerhead/heater. In the 90g I added all new sand. Ended up...
  8. P

cuc for dsb in a 90g

What would you pick? Are some snails and a sand sifting starfish enough?
  9. P

Anemones and Sea Hares

So I added a Sea Hare Nudibranch yesterday to combat the terrible hair algae I've been fighting. I was under the impression that the Sea Hare would avoid anemones. Today there's no sign of the Sea Hare, unless he's been hiding under a rock. Last night he was near a LTA and there appears to be...
  10. P

Silicone lubricant reef safe?

I was told to put silicone grease on the gaskets of my bulkheads. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is silicone lubricant the same thing? Anyone know if this product is reef safe? Home Improvement, Home Renovation, Tools, & Hardware | Home Depot Canada
  11. P

Anyone supplement their income by selling corals?

My wife is leaving her job to stay at home with our kids. A move I fully support. Unfortunately money will be a little tight as our income has just been halved. Ideally I'd like to find a way to bring in a couple hundred dollars more a month or at least bring in enough money to support my...
  12. P

What kind of worm is this?

Found it today hanging out under a rock. Sorry the video isn't great. YouTube - Saltwater Worm?
  13. P

glass vs acrylic sump vibrations

Will an acrylic sump muffle vibrations better than a glass sump?
  14. P

Help Zero Mg and KH

My Mg and KH tests show that I have zero of each. Currently my water params are: Gravity: 1.025 Temp: 78.0 PH: either 7.9 or 8.1 can't tell from the test Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 0 (though I have an algae outbreak) Phosphate: 0 Ca2+: 460 - 500 ppm Copper: 0 I have been doing...
  15. P

reef safe foam pad

My skimmer is making an annoying vibrating sound. Took the pump off and brought it to the lfs to see if they could replace it. Tried it there and it was quiet. So I'm thinking maybe I need to put my skimmer on some sort of foam pad to help dampen the vibrations. Right now it's sitting on the...
  16. P

Sump return pump: sponge or no sponge

I have a mag 9.5 pump in my sump. It comes with a really big filter sponge on the intake. Should I remove it? Or put up with the weekly rinsing of it?
  17. P

pump and hose recommendation

I'm tired of doing the bucket brigade. I'd like to use a pump and a flexible hose to get my mixed water from the basement to the second floor where my tank is. I think I'd need a hose at least 100' long. I want to perform 40g water changes at a time (not sure if that matters). I'm not sure...
  18. P

Bristle worm babies?

My powerhead flow concentrator fell off a while ago and I finally got around to fishing it out to put it back on. Anyways I found these guys in it. Flickr Photo Download: IMG_0721 Are they bristle worm babies?
  19. P

Large water changes, corals and anemones

Hope this isn't a dumb question... Does it harm corals and anemones when you perform a large water change and they become exposed to the air (for several minutes)?
  20. P

Ocellaris clown won't close her mouth

The past couple days she has been swimming less and keeping her mouth open all the time. Though she seems to move her mouth none stop. I don't see any discoloration or damage to her. I believe she is feeding well but will keep a closer eye next feeding (tomorrow). What should I do?