Anyone supplement their income by selling corals?

Poonaka

My wife is leaving her job to stay at home with our kids. A move I fully support. Unfortunately money will be a little tight as our income has just been halved. Ideally I'd like to find a way to bring in a couple hundred dollars more a month or at least bring in enough money to support my hobby. Is anyone doing the same thing? Do you have any information you can share on selling corals?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I know MANY people "supplement" to some degree but few are able to do it to a degree that really adds a significant amount to the bottom line. Unfortunately it takes $$ to be able to "Farm" coral. You need a lot of wet "real estate", lots of light and great water quality in order to grow enough coral FAST enough to make a difference to off-set the cost. Most of us do it more for FUN than any type of appreciable income. It CAN be done but then it becomes WORK! :nono:

:)

Poonaka

I know MANY people "supplement" to some degree but few are able to do it to a degree that really adds a significant amount to the bottom line. Unfortunately it takes $$ to be able to "Farm" coral. You need a lot of wet "real estate", lots of light and great water quality in order to grow enough coral FAST enough to make a difference to off-set the cost. Most of us do it more for FUN than any type of appreciable income. It CAN be done but then it becomes WORK! :nono:

:)

I had a feeling that was the case. :( The dream is to find something that doesn't take much time away from the family and doesn't cost a huge amount of $$ to start up. But I guess if that was available, everyone would be doing it.

1Reefer

I try! Lol I end up gettin a lot of my corals, fish and other reef supplies for free or very little cost but I'm definatly not "supplimenting" my income doing it. I look at it more as saving money lol (yeah right it just makes me feel better about spending more money). I think we all dabble a little bit in fragging and frag trading which counts as saving money and the natural reef IMO.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My frags help off-set the expense of the tanks. Every once in a while I have a good money and have excess $$ but then like the next month I have to buy bulbs and such and I have a deficiency of funds LOL!

1Reefer

LOL! This is exaclty what I was saying Allen, your just much better at wording things lol. Now just imagine if you didn't have the "good" money month due to the frags the month before! Then it'd hurt even worse lol

1Reefer

And Poonaka, you should definatly try your hand at fragging. Its really not that hard if you ask me (granted I'm no expert). I have fragged most corals and have never lost one due to poor fragging. I have had a few fall or get to close to another coral and lost a few that way, but for the most part corals are very hardy and seem to have an incredible will to live. Just keep up on water changes and monitor water quality often and you should be successful. Good luck and happy reefing

Murminator

I would say yes...but not right away....1st you would have to collect some primo stuff which in turn will take time to grow, frag, sell. you will not have enough buyers or make enough money for the "run of the mill" stuff