Search results

1. LPS_Blasto

Other hobbies

Not as many as one would think. RC airplanes are worth about 10 cents on the dollar when sold. I was able to purchase a decent handgun to mount a defense in the event of a home invasion, and a hunting rifle or two. Nothing to brag about or show off and definitely not a large collection. I...
  2. LPS_Blasto

Other hobbies

I used to fly RC planes. I sold them all in 2014. The hobby changed drastically with the advent of brushless electric motors and lipo batteries. Also, around 2005--2008 a new generation of "entitled brats" entered the hobby and turned it into a whiney snowflake fest. All my friends got out...
  3. LPS_Blasto

Fuel Separation Systems

I'm not a diesel expert, but I know enough to be dangerous. That being said, FASS fuel filter is just that, a fuel filter. They come in various screen sizes. The FASS fuel/water separator is supposed to separate any water from the fuel so it doesn't go through the engine. It's like any...
  4. LPS_Blasto

LPS with Current USA Marine Pro?

I really cant justify the cost of an Apxx system for a 40g breeder. If you REALLY add up the total cost to make it do everything, you're into thousands of dollars just for the controller system. I wanted to get back into the hobby and was trying to embrace the new LED and DC technology on a...
  5. LPS_Blasto

LPS with Current USA Marine Pro?

I'm bulding a new 40g breeder. I only want LPS and zoas. Nothing requiring high light, such as SPS or clams. Will this work? It's 2 strips @ 36w each, so 72 watts total - don't know if that makes a difference when talking about LED's. I've never been able to figure out how to convert watts...
  6. LPS_Blasto

Equipment Recomendations for 40g Breeder

Thanks for the help. It's going to be .... hopefully... fully automated. I already have a DIY ATO that I saved from my past history in reefing. I want to get it set up with auto water changes as well. Even if it's just a push button actuator that I have to stand there and manually press it...
  7. LPS_Blasto

Equipment Recomendations for 40g Breeder

As the title says, I'm building a new 40g breeder tank and need help selecting equipment. I've been out of the hobby for several years and a lot has changed. DC pumps are interesting for sure. The tank will be a mixed reef with mainly LPS corals. I don't plan to have a very many fish, as I'm...
  8. LPS_Blasto

Chems went crazy

Sounds to me like you're moving kinda fast. From reading your post, it appears the tank is new - perhaps only a month or two old? I'm currently gathering equipment to build a 180g reef. I'll be sitting here looking at an empty tank cycling for probably a minimum 8--10 weeks before I even...
  9. LPS_Blasto

Upgrading tank from 29g to 55g

I'd transport live rock in a plastic tote(s). Put the tote in the back of a pickup. Remove live rock from tank and place in tote. Get a submersible pump and some vinyl tubing. Run the tubing to the tote and drop the pump in the 29g tank (or just use a 5g bucket) to transfer some water to the...
  10. LPS_Blasto

Back in the saddle again

Welcome back! I'm starting over after a long break as well. Your tank looks great!!
  11. LPS_Blasto

Back into Reefing After A Long Break

Kroger - that explains it. Colorado has King Soopers - a Kroger company. They are AWESOME. There is also Safeway in Colorado. Higher prices, but better produce usually, and better sales. It depends on how you shop. My wife and I shop the perimeter, for the most part. Fresh produce, meat...
  12. LPS_Blasto

My wife and I were just talking about that. From the looks of it - the pump we have right now must be at least 10-15yrs old. It's definitely NOT a newer model, and isn't going to last forever. We could see a significant electrical savings with a newer model.
  13. LPS_Blasto

Thanks so much! I think I can catch a game this fall. A football game and a dog sounds like a good time. It doesn't feel like home yet, but we're adjusting slowly. There's a ton of good seafood, pizza and Greek food here. We love that! Entertainment is waaaaaay cheaper than Colorado...
  14. LPS_Blasto

The tank arrived early! :celebrate: Here's da first pic @saintsreturn 72x24x25 and the darn tailgate wouldn't close.... by like an INCH. :duh:
  15. LPS_Blasto

Thank you! Thanks!
  16. LPS_Blasto

I didn't upgrade to a larger tank. I'm getting back into the hobby after a break. :woohoo:
  17. LPS_Blasto

Hi!! I had to get rid of my reef tanks and frag tank during the recession. Life has changed an awful lot since then. Got divorced in 2014. Met a nice gal. Got re-married in 2017. I moved to Florida in April 2018 with my wife. She got a massive promotion (3 levels up the ladder in one...
  18. LPS_Blasto

Just cleaned my protein skimmer

Which model is it? Is there an outlet adjustment so you can adjust how much water comes out?
  19. LPS_Blasto

Cooling water WITHOUT chiller

Place frozen milk jugs in the sump
  20. LPS_Blasto

RO System

I have the Filter Direct RD102 that was in your first link. I've had it for about 5yrs. Not a single problem with it. Works great. I did purchase the booster pump with the unit and I'm very happy I did. I think they work best at MINIMUM 60-65psi. Call Oscar at Filter Direct and ask him for...