Cooling water WITHOUT chiller

Hey everybody,

Just wondering if anybody had any DIY ideas for how to keep the temp of the tank down during the warmer months.

I'm not looking to buy a commercial chiller since they are $$$ haha

Thanks for any advice/links

I'm googling right now but figured I'd post on here too to see if anybody had some good ideas

Cheers!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Fans across the waters surface make a huge impact on temperature if done right.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I've seen those clip on fans that go onto the side of the tank........not sure how effective they are but i bet they increase your evaporation rate.

yea I've been looking at the fans option as well as raising my lights a little so that it doesn't effect the water temp as much

As far as the evaporation issue it's no big deal since I plan to make an ATO system but the end of april... hopefully haha but bottom line evaporation isn't a problem haha

I was thinking about some type of water fall type thing to airate the water and try and keep it cool that way... anybody thoughts? However I haven't looked into how effective it would be

Yes I have a sump, and by ac unit I assume you just mean a window unit? If so yes but they're expensive to run since it'll only be cooling one room it's kinda pointless if I can just cool the tank haha I don't mind the heat personally

that's what I was thinking just place some type of container of ice in there and just change it out every now and then when it thaws out

jgking21

I use frozen water bottles. I only need to do it a couple months out of the year and only while the lights are on. I put one in the sump and when its melted and cooled to the water temp I replace it with another. I work from home so it make it easy to monitor. Good Luck!

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll most likely increase mind fan usage across the top of the tank as well as drop a water bottle or two into the sump

Robzilla

Do you have a glass top? That traps heat in. I made my own top out of window framing and gutter guard for that very reason. Doesn't collect salt creep like glass either.

mgraf

If you like the waterfall idea, have you ever thought about ATS. I built one into my sump and it does help a little, plus I have two fans, one in and one out of my stand. They are hooked to my controller and work well. Ofcourse, I haven't had it operational in the summer months but, we will see.

i have seen a perfect video on youtube for an easy DIY cooling system for the air not the water in the tank itself.

i ll get it to you as i am in work now , it is a small radiator for a car aircondion ( found here in Egypt in the junk yards as we dont through any piece from the car :) ).
it has an input and an output , u need the below:
-the small radiator.
-A fan ( suitable size for the Rad.)
-A pump
-A medium size ice box ( like an opened laptop size)
you put the pump in the icebox containing chilled water with ice container or these blue stuff then u make a hole in the icebox top for the tube coming out from the pump towards the input in the Rad. the output then to back to the icebox through another hole. the fan then will produce a chilled air like the AC exactly.. this air will be roted to the top of thr tank below the Lights fixture...

this is the main idea and you can design it as to fit the current setup.

Hope this is a benefit ... i ll get u the video

Bye from Cairo Egypt