Equipment Recomendations for 40g Breeder

LPS_Blasto

As the title says, I'm building a new 40g breeder tank and need help selecting equipment. I've been out of the hobby for several years and a lot has changed. DC pumps are interesting for sure.

The tank will be a mixed reef with mainly LPS corals. I don't plan to have a very many fish, as I'm more a coral nut v.s. a fish freak. So, there won't be a high bioload in this system -- more like very low bioload.

I need help with the following equipment choices:
Return pump - I have a Mag 5 and a Mag7 and a couple larger pumps. They all feel too big for this tank. I'm thinking Vario-S 2 size. I'm wanting to do like 3x--5x turnover. Low/Lower/Lowish flow through the sump is my goal.

Sump - I have a 30L that's been usaed as a sump before. 36L x 12W x 16H. I ripped the plexiglass baffles out because they were installed wrong. I'll get new glass baffles and silicone them in myself.

Refugium will be a separate tank and plumbed into the display or the return section of the sump. I don't want my refugium dumping into the skimmer section of my sump. I might build a display refugium and set it above the main display tank. Pump up to it with a powerhead and let gravity and a bulkhead take it back to the display.

Reactors - what kind? Calcium? I have a generic media reactor from BRS, but never used pone and no idea how they work.

Lights - Probably T5's or black box LED's -- I like T5's because I can change the bulbs and customize the colors. I like LED's because of the energy efficiency.

Skimmer - I'm totally LOST here. I don't want a cheap skimmer. I also can't afford a $600 skimmer.

Circulation pumps - It's going to be a low flow reef because I'm mostly wanting to have LPS and some zoas. I don't need 20x turnover.

DaveK

Generally, what you plan to do looks good. Here are a few of my thoughts on things you m9ght want to change.

The Varios-2 pump is good, but I think it's a little small. Long term you might want to plump its output to your refugium, reactors and other items. I'd go one size larger. It's not that much more expensive, ane the nice thing about a DC controllable pump is you can always dial it back.

On reactors, I'd leave some space for them but add them as you need them. For example, you might find you need a GFO reactor, but you will not know for sure until the tank is running. Same thing for calcium reactors and kalk reactors. They get used to replenish calcium. You only need them if your water changes can't keep up with calcium demand.

A good LED fixture is generally lots better than T5 in every area except initial cost. Any good LED fixture will let you dial in the exact color you want, with no need to swap bulbs around. Before you spend your money on Black Box LED fixtures, see this video put out by BRS (offsite) - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vide...lack-box-led-lights-are-they-worth-the-price/ Then make your own choice. Like anything there are pros and cons to them.

As for a skimmer, I think anything outside of some obvious junk will work just fine. Be sure not to undersize it. I'd get the largest one I could reasonably fit in my sump. I'd also look for one that uses a DC controlable pump.

Circulation pumps are something I'd add on an as needed basis. Sure the Ecotech Vortech pumps and the Tunze Stream pumps are great, but also very expensive. If money is of no object, sure get one or more of those to start, otherwise get something far less expensive and see how that works out first. You can always fins some use for these less expensive pumps if you go with the expensive ones later.

One other item I would add to you system is an ATO unit to keep water levels and salinity constant.

The key think to keep in mind is to get what you need, and put off optional gear until you find that you actually need it.

LPS_Blasto

Thanks for the help.

It's going to be .... hopefully... fully automated. I already have a DIY ATO that I saved from my past history in reefing. I want to get it set up with auto water changes as well. Even if it's just a push button actuator that I have to stand there and manually press it and then watch it cycle through the water change. I want to avoid lugging buckets as much as possible.

I have a Mag 5 that could be used as a return pump, but it seems silly to do that when I know I'll end up replacing it with a DC pump rather quickly. I guess I could get my rocks going and swap it anytime.

I'm off to watch the BRS video on lighting.