Search results

1. P

Fair value for setup.

This is a question I HATE to consider but my wife and myself both lost our jobs within a week of each other. My tank may have to go if something doesn't come up very quickly. I'm looking for pricing advice on the whole setup as I may need $$ quickly and not be able to wait for it to part out...
  2. P

Blackout to kill algea??

I recently went from 260w of PCs to 2 x 250w halides. Hair algae outbreak soon followed. I reduced my photo period and that alone with my tangs grazing have kept it from getting worse but it's also not getting any less. If I were to black out the tank somehow with a blanket or something would it...
  3. P

mag 9 heating water

I have a mag 9.5 stirring my change water. RODI container temp in high 50s. Salt water container is running low 80s. Pulled the pump apart and cleaned it up and it's still hot. On one hand I don't have to put in a separate heater but something has to wrong with the pump that can't be good. Any...
  4. P

RODI problem

My RODI is hooked up with a float valve in my storage container. The float shuts off the flow to storage but the water continues to flow to the waste. I'm wondering if anyone can direct me to what is possibly not working right. Thanks.
  5. P

coralife super skimmer idea

I have a super skimmer (125 i think, got it used). Anyway, I had the usual problems with consistent operation you keep reading about. Water level must remain absolutely constant. Like, within 1/4 inch!! ATO took care of that. What I did also is add an air pump. Like the kind used for air stones...
  6. P

powder brown and hippo tang

I want a powder brown, wife wants a hippo. If introduced at the same time would they get along in a 90 gallon? I'm thinking no because of tank size and from what I read powder browns are rather timid for a tang. Thought? Thanks.
  7. P

Royal Gamma, upside down

I just noticed my royal gamma hangs out in a cave upside down against the roof. When he comes out he rights himself. He seems fine so I am assuming this is normal. Is it?
  8. P

lighting acclimation

I recently upgraded lights from PCs to MH. I am acclimating by lessening the photo period. I am running the actinics like I always have, on at 1pm off at 11pm. I only have one timer at the moment and have been runniong the halides by one day one day unplugging them when I get home from work at...
  9. P

PCs to Halides = New Reef

Yesterday I bought a used metal halide fixture and..........................WOW!! I went from 260 watts of PCs to 2 x 250 watt halides w/VHO actinics and it's like looking at totally different tank! The corals are popping and having a celebration! I have to say to anyone using PCs, STOP! WOW!
  10. P

lighting upgrade

My corals are starting to suffer with PC lighting (48" 260 watt) that is due for new bulbs. I plan on replacing them with T5s. My plan is for 8 lamps but funds are limited. So, my question is, would 4 T5s at least equal the current PCs until I am able to get the other 4?
  11. P

aptasia question

Other than being a nuisance is aptasia bad? I know they can hurt corals but if kept in check are they potentially useful?
  12. P

frogspawn question

I have two frogspawns that have recently (last month or so) gotten pretty transparent. They used to be opaque. They are still green but just see-through. Thet still extend as they always did. Should I be concerned?
  13. P

Keeping live sand live

I have a tank with 9 month old sand and a few snails. Is there anything I should do to keep the sand "healthy" until I decide what to do with this tank. There are a lot of little tenticles and whatnot reaching out of the sand and I'd like to keep the critters alive. I can't spot feed the whole...
  14. P

Looking for ideas

I recently transferred everything out of my 24g aquapod. It still has water and well established sand. I was thinking seahoarses but don't think I am ready experiancewise. Throw out some ideas please. If you could start from scratch what woulf it be? Thanks.
  15. P

skimmer, no bubbles

I was given a used superskimmer 220. I imagine it has the stock pump. Everything is hooked up right as far as I can see but it will not suck air unless the water intake is restricted. I have put a piece of acrylic into the intake and drilled a 3/16" hole to get get it to pull air. And it makes...
  16. P

Halide or T5

I know there's going to be differing opinions about this but what lights do you all have and would you go the other way if starting over. I have a 90g with 260w of PCs I am going to upgrade. T5 or Halides?? I was absolutely going halide and now I am starting to lean to T5s for less heat, less...
  17. P

Coral eating coral

I have a colony of button polyps and got a frag of clove polyps last week. I just had to pull a clove out of a button!! I did put the cloves right next to the buttons so that was my bad. But I really had no idea a coral would actually eat another!!
  18. P

mushroom relocation

I have 7 hairy 'shrooms I am going to relocate to a new tank. But two of them have moved and are are attached to two rocks. If I pull the rocks apart a bit to give the bases a bit of a stretch will they move the the rest of the way to one rock or the other? Or can I just cut one side loose. But...
  19. P

corals out of water

I just bought a frogspawn and mushroom rock from a fellow reefer. On the way home I accidentally dumped the container. The corals were out of water for 30-45 minutes. I just got home. Should they be alright? What would they look like in the near future if they are dying? Thanks.
  20. P

Lighting, cheap vs. name brand

There is another post that I had some questions that were kind of off the original post and I didn't want to hijack it so I'll start here...... It is about the supposed danger involving low priced lighting fixtures. I'm looking for some feedback as to the truth. The closer to firsthand the...