Search results

1. l3fty999

A rose anemone???

You shouldn't be that bummed... look carefully at your post, then compare it to other would-be first time anemone owners. You do already know your tank isn't ready, and while you're waiting, sounds like you'll be doing a bit of research so you'll be better able to care for your anemone when you...
  2. l3fty999

Pomacentrus alleni (neon damsel) spawned!

I sure hope it works... the others have not been spawning as much and I suspect that even in a 125g tank, 8 damsels will feel crowded if three of the four species I keep in that tank have paired off and are trying to lay eggs. I have an extra 45 and an extra 55g tank, so I will likely be...
  3. l3fty999

Well, my four stripe damsels have been showing some pre-spawning behavior, like the male doing his little dance around his preferred female. Real interesting to see, and I did try to get video but I wasn't quick enough. I have a family member that is now interested in this and has offered to...
  4. l3fty999

I did in fact resize them. They were originally 297kb and I shrunk them to 48kb for upload. I haven't had any problems with clarity at 40x magnification, but it's pretty easy to ram the lens right into the slide with any microscope that has a fairly high magnification, and many people do not...
  5. l3fty999

Well, I was able to dig up two pictures, a little blurry since like all kids, they won't sit still for a picture :yup: . Aaron
  6. l3fty999

anemone and starfish?

As far as having a tank with only two things in it, I suppose that's just up to whoever is setting it up, but if you have both in your tank, could you tell us what you did, how you set it up, etc.? That way we all get to learn one more thing about our hobby. Nice anemone, by the way... Aaron
  7. l3fty999

I've tried that, but it didn't turn out so well. It seems they want live food, I guess. I do appreciate the suggestion, though. Aaron
  8. l3fty999

I have one, it's from Foster&Smith. I got it on one of their sales for less than the usual $200, and it seems to go on sale here and there, just keep checking. It seems to have decent optics for the price, and you'll not only be able to take pictures, but video as well. I'll dig around on my...
  9. l3fty999

If at all possible, I'd like to keep a damsel thread going. I have blue damsels that are spawning continuously, so I thought I would throw in some pics of the nest, which, although under a rock, I was able to view it from under the tank. Sure, it's a common fish in the trade, but the fry are...
  10. l3fty999

The guy I've emailed about rotifers said he tried the "L" strain, so the "S" strain may very well be the way to go. I've included a pic of my king damsel here since they're not as common in the trade as some of the others are.
  11. l3fty999

I was in fact aware of the date. As Clownfish518 said, this could be valuable for a future spawn. And, Woodstock may still have damsels, too. I hope that she and others notice that this thread is active again so that we could put our information together in one place. I myself am doing this...
  12. l3fty999

I've emailed the guy I mentioned in my previous post to see what strain he used and will post that info as soon as I get it. I'd also like to see others come forward that have attempted to raise damsel fry so we can put our heads together and share some information. Aaron
  13. l3fty999

Rotifers will probably be too big. I'm trying to raise my Chrysiptera rex (king damsel) fry and I've done a lot of looking for information, including emailing a number of people, and the guy in this article Breeding Anemonefish by Bob Bittner said he tried it before. Apparently, rotifers were...
  14. l3fty999

Things i'll never have in my tank period!!!

Good analogy Davek, and if I had extra time, knowlege, and tanks, I'd try most, if not all of what's on that list. But, one weed I would think twice about before adding it to my display tank is caulerpa. I have lots of it in the fuge as a breeding place for pods, etc. but it's been a pain to...
  15. l3fty999

What levels should Phosphate Be

Now, just wondering, once you get the source of the nitrates under conrol, won't you have to wean your system off of it just like you would any other source of carbon? Aaron
  16. l3fty999

First, I must apologize. I did not intend for it to sound like an easy, cure-all solution. I guess when I said "properly done", I wasn't clear enough. I do agree that is is VERY clinical and precise, and that is how I applied it. I did mention what would happen if too much was added, but I...
  17. l3fty999

Hammer Coral Splitting

The only stupid questions are the ones that are never asked. Aaron
  18. l3fty999

No problem Sharon, here's the link you'll want to follow: Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com And yes, it's the very same vodka consumed by humans. I'd recommend reading the article before actually dosing it, though. Aaron
  19. l3fty999

pulsing critter

Well, I've set up a separate tank for them and they're growing. I think it's kinda neat myself, being able to keep them like this, let alone having them breeding like that.
  20. l3fty999

Vodka dosing works, I've done it, but you need to just do a little research and what I found was a table for ml of vodka per however many gallons of water. It seems that if you put too much vodka in your tank, the resulting bacterial bloom uses up a lot of oxygen and everything that can reach...