Pomacentrus alleni (neon damsel) spawned!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
My trio of Pomacentrus alleni (neon damsels) spawned this past weekend!
The trio consists of one male and two females. They have always got along but I noticed some 'chasing' going on.... After taking a closer look, the egg mass was found!

Here is there NORMAL coloration:
smallalleniphoto.jpg

Here is the male defending the eggs:
20091114firstspawn20.jpg

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
That's very cool. Did you post to the Marine Breeder Registry? I don't think much is documented for damsel reproduction, for all the reams written on their clown cousins

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Yes, I will attempt to raise them. I have a lot of learning to do since I can not find much info on them. They are very small (compared to percula fry) so I hope my rotifers will be small enough.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
You can see their eyes today. Here is a neat photo of the daddy watching me take a photo of them.

200911157.jpg

200911152.jpg

l3fty999

Yes, I will attempt to raise them. I have a lot of learning to do since I can not find much info on them. They are very small (compared to percula fry) so I hope my rotifers will be small enough.

Rotifers will probably be too big. I'm trying to raise my Chrysiptera rex (king damsel) fry and I've done a lot of looking for information, including emailing a number of people, and the guy in this article Breeding Anemonefish by Bob Bittner said he tried it before. Apparently, rotifers were too big and he even tried culturing paramecium, but since they're a freshwater microbe, that didn't work out too well either and so he stuck to raising clownfish. As of this post, however, I have some fry that look like they'll make it past 24 hours and if they make it longer, I could give you some details about what I fed them if you like.

Aaron

l3fty999

Amy Drehmel used a different strain of rotifers that was smaller to breed yellow watchman with. Might be an alternative

Spawning and Rearing the Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus) by Amy Drehmel - Reefkeeping.com

I've emailed the guy I mentioned in my previous post to see what strain he used and will post that info as soon as I get it. I'd also like to see others come forward that have attempted to raise damsel fry so we can put our heads together and share some information.

Aaron

l3fty999

might be a little late.. this thread is from last year

I was in fact aware of the date. As Clownfish518 said, this could be valuable for a future spawn. And, Woodstock may still have damsels, too. I hope that she and others notice that this thread is active again so that we could put our information together in one place. I myself am doing this both for the challenge and I just happen to like damsels. I've spent a lot of time just watching them and I've found out some pretty neat things about them.

Aaron