Search results

1. jcgardner

55 gallons of pure joy and terror.

I started reef keeping about 5 years ago. After several set backs and tank crash I basically left the hobby for about a year while I finished school, passed state boards, and started working as a RN at the local hospital. Due to neglect I lost my fish and all the corals. I was going to...
  2. jcgardner

For Sale: 30g Aquarium $100.00

I have a 30g aquarium with black wood stand, and pc light fixture. I am asking $100.00 OBO. This is located in Southern Arizona. Please email me if interested. I have a lonely false perc that can go with it if you like, I ended up with three due to a shipping error by liveaquaria. The other...
  3. jcgardner

OOPS they sent me a nem, I am scared

I need advice. I ordered a false perc and two purple firefish from liveaquaria.com. Apparently the messed up because I got two false percs and a nem. I have always wanted a nem but I have been to scared to order one because they are hard to keep. They don't want him back, my gift from them...
  4. jcgardner

You know your obsessed when....

You know you are obsessed when your AC goes out, you are impatiently waiting for the tech to show up, they call and say they are having a problem with a cell tower overheating and it will another couple of hours. Obsession starts when you want to tell the lady who the Heck cares about the cell...
  5. jcgardner

24" T5 light available

Hello, I have a 24" nova extreme T5 light for sale. Lights are about 6 months old. Asking $60.00 shipped. Here is a link to their website so you can get all the details. Nova Extreme T5H0 | Current What's Next
  6. jcgardner

What to do with the back of the tank!

Need some opinions and guidance. I am setting up a 100g tank and need to know what to do with the back. It will be in front of a window that will get an hour or two of morning sun. Should I paint the back or just use the backgrounds. If I paint it will probably be white as I've read that...
  7. jcgardner

My first

Have you ever walked into a pet store and wanted to take all of the fish home because they were in such poor health?! It saddened me today when I walked into a Petco in Tuscon and saw all the sick fish for sell. I just wanted to rescue them all. I live 3 hours away from a city with an actual...
  8. jcgardner

Glass polishing kits

Is it ok to use a glass polishing kit on an aquarium. The aquarium is empty 100g and has fine scratches on all of the walls. I thought most of them would come out when I washed it with viniger and water but it hasn't. Looks good as long as it is wet. I found this product Glass Polishing Kit...
  9. jcgardner

Confused and this will probably start an argument

We picked up the 100g tank today and I need to redo the silicone. What type can I use. I would like to be able to buy the big tube so I can use the caulking gun. I have read many different articles and I am royally confused. Does it have to say aquarium silicone or can I buy one that says...
  10. jcgardner

JCGardner's 100

Well here is the start of my 100g tank. Got this tank for $50.00. It is going to need more work than I initially thought, but hey it was only fifty dollars. Going to build a frame for the top and bottom to protect the edges better, they already have a few shallow nicks. Got the stand home...
  11. jcgardner

Sand

Hello, once again it is me. I am picking up the 100 g tank on Saturday. When the time comes to move in can I use the sand from my 45g in the new tank? I have about 40lbs in the 45g that I don't want to just throw out. I would syphon it out and run it through a fine colander/strainer. Will...
  12. jcgardner

Pinneapple sponges

Howdy! I just ID a critter that popped up in my 45g about 6 weeks ago, they are pineapple sponges. Do I need to worry about anything? I have my own RO/DI unit so the water is good. Parameters are: CA 320, this is low doing w/c tomorrow and ordered supplement. KH ppm 196.9 or dKH is 11...
  13. jcgardner

I think I found a great deal

Here is my situation. I found a guy that is sell a 100g glass aquarium and stand for $50.00. The stand needs to be finished which isn't that big of a deal, it holds water and looks pretty good with the exception of one corner. The top edge by the back corner is chipped, will this affect the...
  14. jcgardner

What could it be?

I was watching the aquarium tonight and saw something I haven't seen before. I have a rock that is full of mushrooms and out of one of the crevices came two small "arms". They are brown and white striped and definetly attached to a body and act as though they are feeling around. I have spent...
  15. jcgardner

Did I just make it mad?

Here is the deal, I had a cyano outbreak in my tank. I did a wc of about 20%, manually removed it and moved the powerheads. This was on 12-13-09, I noticed that my hammer pulled back into the skeleton, which I had originally attributed to all of the goings on with the wc and moving of the...
  16. jcgardner

Fedex miss delivered my package

I need advice. I ordered some ric's that were supposed to be delivered today, but I just got notifed that fedex left them at the sorting destination in Tucson which is 2.5 hours from me, or I'd go get them. They won't be delivered until Friday, will they be ok?
  17. jcgardner

LED fixture - Opinions please

Hello everyone, I found this LED fixture while I was looking for some stuff on Dr F&S website. Looks very cool, but what does everyone think of it? These are connectable powerstrips, but given the cost of the actual unit they are selling it would be cheaper to buy the units individually. I...
  18. jcgardner

Am I Crazy?!

I need to know if what I want to do is crazy or not. I started with a 30g tank and about 8 months ago transferred it all into a 45g tank w/ a 10g sump. At the time I didn't add any more rock but now I want to about 30 more lbs, about 45lbs in there right now and I'm unhappy with the rockwork...
  19. jcgardner

Will they make it?

Hey, I bought some corals from a fellow reefer on RS and he shipped the package on 8/24/09 usps priority mail? The package still hasn't arrived, the corals are some duncans and zoa's? My question is are they still going to be alive when/if I receive them? I have the usps tracking number but...
  20. jcgardner

Difference Between Frogspawn and Hammer

I am wondering what the difference is between the frogspawn and the hammer coral? I have been wanting to get a frogspawn for a while now and I have finally decided to purchase one, but I can get a great deal on a Hammer coral. So just curious what the differences are between them. Thanks...