Did I just make it mad?

jcgardner

Here is the deal, I had a cyano outbreak in my tank. I did a wc of about 20%, manually removed it and moved the powerheads. This was on 12-13-09, I noticed that my hammer pulled back into the skeleton, which I had originally attributed to all of the goings on with the wc and moving of the powerheads. I put the powerhead back where it was but the hammer hasn't come back out. You can still see some of the tentacles just inside the skeleton but it has never come back out. It was doing very well before this water change. I did another 5% wc on sunday 12-20-09 but it still hasn't come out. My water is at 1.025, temp stays around 78, amn is 0, nitrates about 10, calcium about 440. So is it just mad or did I kill it? I haven't noticed it expelling anything, but my husband thinks it's dead?

Last edited:

jcgardner

It was pointed at the back glass kind of behind the hammer. I had moved it down closer to the bottom because I had a large area that had very little flow behind the rock work. My PH & Phos test kits are on their way, the only store I have in the area is walmart, and they only have freshwater PH kits. The cyano is due to the fact that I overfeed. I am now spot feeding everything thanks to BigJay so I am hoping to get that under control.

Tab964

When I had high nitrates or phos my LPS like hammer or frogspawn would close up and just send out a little bit of flesh. Just enough so I knew it was not dead. I lost those early on but have since watched if they look sad for more than a day or so the I check my Phos. How long has it been closed? Do you know if it is a wall or branching hammer? My wall hammer was more sensitive than my branching hammer.

jcgardner

It is a wall. It has been about 3 days. I will look at it again when I get home. If I can get a good pic I will post and see what your opinions are then. I am going to be so upset if it dies.