Search results

1. G

Burn Baby Burn

The temperature sensor on one of my Hydro Heater/Pump comb 300 (there are two in the tank) on my 20 gallon failed. I didn't notice it until about 12 hours later. I know that it was around 12 hours as the temperature was at 79 the night before and it was at 90 sometime the following morning. What...
  2. G

MH on top of a Tank

Has anyone here tried having an MH fixture that sits (not hanged) directly on top of the tank? Don't want to shell out $700 and find out the temps too high.
  3. G

Boat Rock

Have you guys heard about those?
  4. G

Pro-Reef

Any body tried the Tropic Marine Pro-Reef? It cost almost double the price of IO and Oceanic. Don't know if it's worth it or not.
  5. G

Clorine Bleach

I used clorine bleach to clean an old plastic tub that I was planning to use for storing saltwater. What's a good way to get rid of the clorine after? I've already rinse it with those aquarium declorinator. Right now it's filled with a second batch of water with a tripple dose of NovaAqua+. I...
  6. G

I hate wasting water!!

I'm finally tired of hauling filtered water from the local Safeway. I'm now looking at RO/DI units but I'm concernd about the ratio of wasted water to filtered water. Are there any RO/DI unit that does not waste water or at least waste the least amount of water? I've heard of those using an...
  7. G

Switching Again?

I know that this topic has been discussed to death...but I'm about to run out of Oceanic and need to buy something. I know most people use IO, but I had some salinity shift and caking issues. My calcium is off the charts with Oceanic and Alkalinity is at 9. I could either stay the same, but...
  8. G

Nitrate Reducing Filters

Does anyone here have any experience with those Nitrate Reductor filters? The ones where you either have to feed deniballs or those that contain sulfur. I'm thinking of getting one, but don't know how effective they are and how easy it is to maintain the unit. Example...
  9. G

Flurescent Ts

How do you know if you need a T-5, T-8, or T-12 bulb? I need to replace a single 24" tube, but I just realized that it comes in T-8 and T-12. All I had to worry about when I used PC was whether it was square or straight pins. :dunno:
  10. G

Where do you get your live rock?

Lately I've been buying uncured live rock wholesale in boxes straight from a distributor. They are the Fiji Ultra Premium and I get them the day they arrive.. However, I've never seen any critters that are alive in the rock...especially those mantis that everybody seems to be getting. The...
  11. G

Purple Up and Kordon's Rid Itch

Has anybody ever tried PurpleUp or Kordon's Rid Itch? I'm only considering Kordon's Rid Itch, because it says (and their tech support says) that it will not harm live rock or anything else. Sorry, I can do a hyposalinity because I can catch all the fish withou dismatling the tank. Just...
  12. G

Murex Snail

Does anybody know where I can buy Murex Snails? Not a shell...a live Murex Snail. Can't find them anywhere...
  13. G

Powerhead Brands

I know everybody hates Rio...but most of the stuff that I buy comes with it. It's a real pain to replace them as you need to get a pump with the right size. Does anybody have good experience with Rio? I'm thinking about Hydor but they cost a lot.
  14. G

PhosBan Reactor 150

Anybody has experience with this piece of equipment? I'm planning to use it in my sump/fuge. I don't use RO and feed a lot...so I need something like it. Julian's company makes the PhosBan Reactor.
  15. G

Baby What?

What are these? The second picture is viewed with a loupe.
  16. G

Cyano or Diatom

How can you tell the difference between a cyano and diatom? After wiping the tank walls, they are starting to creep back just after 24 hours. I don't know if it is true that cyano takes about 1 week to come back after scrubbing. I know that turning off the lights will kill the diatoms and...
  17. G

RedSea Salt

Does anybody here have some experience with RedSea Salt Mix? I've used Instant Ocean and Oceanic but not RedSea. I like Oceanic as it dissolves instantly. Right now I can get RedSea locally at a discounted price...this week only.
  18. G

Ever tasted tank water?

Today I had the biggest mouthful, ever, of tank water from priming a sipon hose and I could not spit it out immediate as I didn't have a container. Had to hold it in my mouth for close to a minute!
  19. G

Super Glue Tiny Frag to LR Underwater

I have a few tiny frags that are too small to drill as the bottom is just slightly larger than an eraser. The LR is also kinda big to take out. Will putting super glue gel and sticking it underwater work? I'm worried that the super glue is not strong enough when the snails crawl all over...
  20. G

How do you safely remove Keyhole Limpets

It started with one, and now without trying too hard I can spot at least 7 any time. I know that there are more of them in there and I think they are eating my corallines. Anybody knows how to remove them without killing them as they are so stuck in the rocks. SNAILS ARE MORE EVIL THAN CRABS!!