PhosBan Reactor 150

gussy

Anybody has experience with this piece of equipment? I'm planning to use it in my sump/fuge. I don't use RO and feed a lot...so I need something like it. Julian's company makes the PhosBan Reactor.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Check this site out: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/chem.htm

An important point about organic phosphates is that they will mostly not be impacted by phosphate-binding materials sold to the aquarium hobby. Consequently, while these products may do a fine job of reducing inorganic orthophosphate, they may not help an algae problem that is caused primarily by organic phosphates.

A final point is that organic phosphates will not be detected by most test kits. Those that do detect organic phosphates (e.g., Hach PO-24) break the phosphate off of the organic compound and thereby convert it into inorganic orthophosphate prior to testing. However, these kits are tedious and expensive, and not for every hobbyist.

Phosphorus-Figure-2-thumb.jpg

Nevertheless, growing and harvesting macroalgae (Figure 2) remains one of the best ways to reduce phosphate levels in reef tanks (along with other nutrients).

BoomerD

I agree with OS on this one...your tank NEEDS the RO/DI unit more than it does a phosban reactor. You are adding many more pollutants than just phosphates with your tap water.

wooddood

the wood dude
like boomerD's sig says ( if you aint cheatin you aint tryin )should'nt apply to your water source supply. buy an ro/di unit it will be the best investment you make for your reef, trust me. good luck in the hobby. or should i say our way of life lol.

dave. :smoking: