Search results

1. oldsaint

ID Help I'm guessing Cryptoplax larvaeformis??

This one hitchhike in on about 250lbs of live rock from Tonga. It was the old nice Tonga kaelini to be more specific. HTH
  2. oldsaint

How do I increase the copepod population?

Just a couple of my thoughts. :) Was the tank just recently moved? If so, I'm sure you lost some during that but not to worry they will come back quickly. LOL I remember the first time someone caught me in my tank with a red flash light. If the tank is stable and the rock is truly "cured"...
  3. oldsaint

need help with wiring new end cap

Not sure I follow you but does this help.
  4. oldsaint

Testing Water Help with Understanding Numbers

Hey I needed to be corrected. I guarantee, as long as it's ok, I'll be quoting you the next time I see that question come up. :)
  5. oldsaint

I stand corrected. :doh: Thank you Boomer for clarifying. I promiss you I didn't make similar calculation errors when wiring up the BUFFs....lol
  6. oldsaint

1. mg/L (milligrams per liter) to ppm (parts per million)? The measurements are identical: 1mg/L = 1ppm Here are some conversions that maybe helpful Conversions: 1 meg/L = 50 ppm CaCO3 To convert meq/l to ppm CaCO3, multiply by 50 To convert meq/l to dKH mutiply by 2.8 To convert dkH to...
  7. oldsaint

Trigger Fish

A little info on the Odonus niger. From slatwaterfish.com... I would have to agree greatly with this. I've had mine for several years and every night dig, dig ,dig. Then giant sand storms. It lays on it's side and flips it's tail for about 2-3 second kicking sand every where. On a good...
  8. oldsaint

What does your TDS meter say?

tap= 450(µS/cm) 5 stage ro/di output= 0(µS/cm) My meter measures in microSiemens.
  9. oldsaint

Starting again need info/assurance

I don't run DSB but have set up many in other tanks. If, and that's a big if you are going for a DSB I wouldn't have rinsed the sand. You need the diversity in size of particles to support the various life that makes a DSB work. When you rinse the sand you are washing away a lot of the smaller...
  10. oldsaint

How to remove/add sump?

Personally and this is getting a little of topic, I would have a separate fug at least 25% volume of the the main tank. Anything smaller than that and you don't get any true benefits.
  11. oldsaint

How to remove/add sump?

IMO The flow should go Skimmer, fug, return. You want to best water returning to your tank.
  12. oldsaint

How to remove/add sump?

This might help. :) Melevsreef.com - Install a Sump in an Existing Setup
  13. oldsaint

Elegance Coral Theory questions

:clink: Thank you boozeman.
  14. oldsaint

lcstorc I purchased it late Jan of 2005. Cheeks it has always been in the 260. At first the 260 was planned as a FO but when the rock started to develop I changed my mind and went reef. Thanks for the compliment. :)
  15. oldsaint

Sorry I type really slow...lol
  16. oldsaint

Only if everyone promisses not to take it to heart. IMO I've been lucky and advice should be left to the more experienced. When I first got the coral I was dead set on target feeding it a couple of times a week. Food consisted of silversides and krill soaked in selcon. It seem to like the SS...
  17. oldsaint

How much have you spent?

Well I've got a 260, 180 and at one time also a 55 and a 29. So, I guess that qualifies me for the WAY of 3000++++ club.
  18. oldsaint

Hi all, Hi cheeks69. :wave: It's been a while since I've posted but this subject is very near and dear to me as I've had about a 3 year experience with this coral. Tagging along for further friendly discussions. :) In Feb of 2006 we had chat session with Eric Borneman and he briefly updated he...
  19. oldsaint

Fish that should NOT be kept in your aquarium.

How about a Naso vlamingii. IMO unless you're planning on a 500-600 gal tank leave them in the ocean.
  20. oldsaint

What kind of tank do you have?

Ditto I have a reef and a FOWLR. :)