Trigger Fish

tonester2221

While I'm contemplating getting either a Niger or Picasso trigger, I wanted to know how justifiable their reputation is as far as re-arranging aquariums go. I have a 90 gal aquarium which I plan to include some LR and a couple of pieces of dead coral for decorative purposes.

Also what type of tankmates would you recommend?

:alien:

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Triggers are not really know for re-arranging tanks however they are know for eating the rock to keep their teeth sharp & filed. Remember this for I have had it happen to me & have witness it in others tanks as well triggers are one of the most unpredictable fish there are. They seem to get along then one day you will wake & reality of the predator is starring you in the face, one or more dead fish. My personal experience was with the following triggers:

Niger
Clown
Humu Humu
Wedge Tail
Blue Line
Pineapple
Queen
Hawaain Black

Order of carnage

Niger
Blue line
Clown
Humu Humu
Queen

So just be prepared

tbittner

"Order of carnage"

So the Queen killed the Picasso, and the picasso killed a clown???

wow!

Or maybe I don't understand this order? I know the Queen is a close second to the undulated as far as viciousness...

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
"Order of carnage"

So the Queen killed the Picasso, and the picasso killed a clown???

wow!

Or maybe I don't understand this order? I know the Queen is a close second to the undulated as far as viciousness...

Those were sad day specially since I can not replace the Queen

Triggers do strange things there are actualy 2 othe triggers that I really want that would have an ungelated for lunch

The West African Triiger aka Balistes carolinensis
The Titan Trigger http://www.oceanfootage.com/stockfootage/Titan_Trigger_Fish

mps9506

I personally prefer the niger triggers in addition to the blue jaws and crosshatch triggers just because they look so cool swimming. They seem less belligerent as well. AFA as tank mate for a niger or picasso, I would recomend anything tough :)
Tomato or maroon clowns, lunare wrasse, tangs any fish like that should fit the bill. Stay away from lionfish, IME some of the more aggressive triggers like to taste their long flowy fins.

Snelly40

i had a blue jaw that was a great great great fish, left everyone alone and loved when we watched him. he would show off :)

i lost him during the outage of 2007 here in charlotte, thread called sad day in charlotte, but anyway they are great fish with great personality and will not harm any reef inhabitants either (from my experience anyway ) :)

Snelly40

aqtcjak seems to be the expert on this one, ithink u've had more triggers than anyoneive seen. They are great fish, i love how they swim, karma to you!!! :)

tbittner

In my predator tank I have a picasso, a foxface, a porcupine puffer, a snowflake eel, and the surprise ghost eel.

So far, everyone seems to be getting along (so far...) althought I do see the snowflake and picasso picking at each other occasionally.

Heck, there is even a huge turbo snail that's been in there for going on a month.

:lol:

hma

A less aggressive Genus of Triggers would be the Xanthichthys. As long as they are the last addition it'll make a great community fish.

The Genus Xanthichthys

I confirm this, the Indian triggerfish is also a good representative of his type, a great community fish. My Pinktail also is well-suited for a community. However, my absolute favorite is Xanthichthys mento. Not to get in Europe unfortunately or too expensive

oldsaint

A little info on the Odonus niger.
From slatwaterfish.com...
The Triggers are also well known for their blowing behavior that they use to move items around in home aquariums. They will also pick items up with their mouths and move them. This is likely instinctual behavior that has rolled over from their nesting preperation.
I would have to agree greatly with this. I've had mine for several years and every night dig, dig ,dig. Then giant sand storms. It lays on it's side and flips it's tail for about 2-3 second kicking sand every where.
On a good note. They have great personality and are extremely intertaining fish. Here's a few old shots out of my 90g. Still working on training it to fetch...lol
Don't try this at home kids. :)
f2.jpg

f3.jpg

f7.jpg

Kazzy

For tankmates, I would say get a big, mean female maroon or tomato clownfish, one of the larger tangs, and any of the larger, more aggressive puffers.

tbittner

My foxface actually seems to be completely unaffected by the predators in my 150. When it's feeding time for the predators, he does swim off to a corner though to keep out of the way. :lol:

Foxface does a fantastic job of eating any algae that might grow too. And unlike the tangs, he isn't picky about the type of algae.