How to remove/add sump?

Snelly40

hey guys, i hvae a sump/fuge under my tank now, but i am looking at some others that will be a little more efficient.

My question is about the wodden bar in the middle of the two doors. I cant get mine out without removing that panel. Have any of you done this?? is there a way to brace it while i do it? any tips?
the stand is an AGA stand that holds my 90 gallon

Snelly40

that kind of scared me too,. has anyone else tried that method??

i think i might build a brace too that has two points wider than the fuge that meet and then put a center brace on it and wedge it under the tank too.

I am buying a 36 gallon tank that will fit and will build the fuge.

What design is best. Melev has his drain to the skimmer and fuge on the outsides and the return on the inside chamber, is there an advantage to this method???
also, what is the best way to add the baffles to ensure they are sturdy and water tight???

goldenmean

To add baffles You can use silicone.
Make sure it has not been treated to inhibit mildew/mold.
AGA makes some that I bought recently at Petco but a lot of hte online aquarium supply stores carry it. I just DIY my sump but I did not have enough room to have a fuge.
If you are using a glass tank use glass baffles. Do not use acrylic baffles as the acrylic can expand and crack the glass tank.

I believe fuges are put on the end of a sump and the return in the middle because the fuge is more effective without the faster flow of water that normally goes thru the sump. The water is slower in the fuge thus pods can grow better and macro algea can do a better job.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
It is always a good practice with any open tank, sump etc to wipe them with reqular vinegar to remove any residues let in them

Snelly40

that is how i plan to do the set up, skimmer, fuge, return...i currently have one set up like that but i would like to add a bigger and cleaner one that will be a little more effective

oldsaint

Personally and this is getting a little of topic, I would have a separate fug at least 25% volume of the the main tank. Anything smaller than that and you don't get any true benefits.