Search results

1. G

New tank - have questions - need ideas

JNicho - Alright, thanks for the advice. I currently run a powerhead, the two Koralia 1's and of course my skimmer & fuge (which each require their own pump). I'm able to maintain a temp of about 78 w/ the tank under an a/c vent and no heater, but have seen occasional 79-80 swings. I figure the...
  2. G

**heart Stoppers**

Man, I've had several in my short 1.5yrs of reefing. #1 - Same as above - didn't know about siphon hole and lost 10g or so on the floor #2 - Worked late one day and came home to find the tank off!! The GFCI tripped - my wife had been home for hours and it didn't dawn on her how quiet the...
  3. G

Moving up in tank - how much to transfer?

Upgrading from 55 to 75. I've read several threads about crashes after a move and obviously want to avoid that. (good thing I read those too b/c it appears you can't transfer sandbed - I had every intention of doing that!!) I want this to go as quick as possible, so I'm thinking I'll speed up...
  4. G

The issue is though that I want to feed a refugium w/out a second pump. In order to do that, I HAVE to slow down the flow. A 1.5" drain can flow a lot of water - way too much for a refugium. An idea just came to me though.... Two 1.5" drains - one dumps straight to sump and the other goes...
  5. G

Ideally I want a fuge/sump combo. I've seen several different scenarios - just not sure which is right for me. If I could draw my own up though, I would have one 1.5" pipe dump into the sump and the other 1.5" pipe would have a ball valve so that I can control the flow and that will dump into...
  6. G

fish tank lid

And avoid heat built-up. If you're worried about kamikaze fish, use some sort of mesh material or that plastic grid stuff - think some people call it eggcrate?!? Not what I picture when I hear that word and maybe I'm thinking of the wrong word, but I don't know how to describe it other than it...
  7. G

Well, I'm making the big step up from my 55g to a 75g. I know, almost certainly not worth the hassle, but the tank was free and I know my fish won't complain about the extra room. It also gives me a chance to fix some things that I didn't know about when setting up the 55 that really bother me -...
  8. G

pre-drilled flow issues

If I understand you correctly, you want a higher turnover rate for your filtration. You are basically limited to the amount of water you can filter by the amount of water you can drain - ie - you can't put a pool pump on there if your overflow can't flow enough water to feed it. So, you just...
  9. G

Having a tank drilled?

Yeah, have a 75 I want drilled and local glass shop said $25 each. I'm worried too. Watched a few vids on youtube and it really doesn't seem bad. I got the tank for free and am cheap, so I might give it a shot. I saw one vid where a guy used Play-doh to make a ring around the area he wanted the...
  10. G

Fish Names

My dog is named Rugby - perfect fit for him. Funny the way that works out sometimes. Anyway, as for my fish.... Clownfish - Tiger Yellow Tang - Sharkbait Yellow Watchman Goby - Elian (Gonzalez) - I'm obviously NOT a very "PC" person (I chose the name b/c he hides a lot. Ducks into the...
  11. G

What are these?

I haven't taken a pic yet, but will if it's deemed necessary. They're about 1/4 - 1/2" long and pink in color. Some sort of hard, tube-like growth. Very small in diameter - 1/8" or so. They are all over rocks, powerheads and even the underside of my open brain coral. 99% of them are in...
  12. G

Need recommendations on new setup & how to transfer

Have a 55g reef tank now. I was just given a 75g today for free and although it's not much of an upgrade, the price was right and it gives me an opportunity to change some of the things I don't like about my current setup, but not too large that I have to buy a ton of new equipment (skimmer...
  13. G

How to frag???

Okay, tank has been setup a year now and some of my corals are spreading a lil more than I'd like. I love my green star polyps, but they've taken over the rock I put them on and are starting to spread to the one next to it - I don't want that. I read that they will grow on glass, overflow, etc...
  14. G

Blue Xenia and clownfish not good bed buddies??

My tank is a year old now and the clown has been in for 10 months or so and the xenia around 8. There was a period when the Xenia had randomly died off completely, but I left the shell that it was attached to in the tank and after about a month, it started reappearing. It is now everywhere! I...
  15. G

Coral dying?? Please help

Just thought I'd update this b/c it's been awhile. Well, it had completely died off - there was nothing left on the shell that it was once attached to. I was going to throw the shell out, but really just got lazy and left it in the tank (and also b/c I had glued it in place on top of one of my...
  16. G

Safe to add Strawberry Basslet??

I currently have a Ocellaris Clownfish, Yellow Watchman Goby, Banded Coral Shrimp & Yellow Tang. I also have a mix of soft corals, few blue leg hermits, snails, etc that I don't think will be an issue. I'm looking for just one more fish and a Strawberry Basslet (or Fridmani Pseudochromis - which...
  17. G

Well, I moved it that night to a lower spot in the tank and one that has a lil more flow, but not direct flow. I think the kid at the LFS was wrong - I went back there yesterday and he said blue Xenia - I honestly think it's a waving hand. Regardless though, it's definitely dying. The half that...
  18. G

1.36 Gallon For Sale

How much would shipping be to FL 32086? This tank is sick and would look awesome on my computer desk
  19. G

55g display tank, Algal scrubber, Remora pro skimmer, T5 (4 bulbs) Okay, first let me start this off by saying that I'm not even 100% sure what my coral even is (I know, I know). I believe it's a blue xenia. There were about 50 or so blue "tentacles" attached to what appears to be a clam shell...
  20. G

AquaC Remora Pro skimming...

Okay. I didn't realize it took several weeks to break-in. I thought it only took a few days to a week. And yes, the collection cup is as short as it can go. Thanks.