Have you ever had a Brown Moment

• Heck Yeah!

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • ummm no..........

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Green Gills

"This thread has been created to share those times you almost browned your pants"
Eg:

*Your power just went out
*Your cat is about to swan dive into your tank
*You have not been able to spot that $100 fish for over a week
*You order new live stock to find they don't arrive
*You are not sure if that live sand in the mug (you left there 2wks ago) is still OK
*(In my case, only fresh water) Your 3yr old son decides to wake up in the middle of the night and drop a cake of soap in the tank (21ltr) or (on the same night) emptied a 80g can of food into the tank (120ltr)
*We all have brown Moments lets share them (and try not to get into diff topics, Keep it simple):cursin:
Thanks...........

Green Gills

"quote"
I will share with you one thing that happened today that would have been a BIG ooops. I was doing my weekly water change today and had the lid of my RSM propped up. I went into the other room to get the water I had mixed up and when I returned one of my VERY curious cats had hoped up on top of the RSM and was doing a balancing act on the edge. She almost went for a swim! No time for picts of that though. haha

My Tank Thread

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I had one good while ago when I didn't realize my ATO hose needed a "siphon break hole" or it would siphon after the pump shut off. I realized it when I heard a dripping down and saw a puddle of water forming under my 90g. Luckily it only added about 5 gallons of FW to the system and was easily resolved over a few days.

Dweezil

Ohhh this should be an interesting one. I see you've already put mine in there. haha It will make us all feel better knowing other people have problems too!

Man, I've had several in my short 1.5yrs of reefing.

#1 - Same as above - didn't know about siphon hole and lost 10g or so on the floor

#2 - Worked late one day and came home to find the tank off!! The GFCI tripped - my wife had been home for hours and it didn't dawn on her how quiet the tank was, the lights were off, etc. :banghead: Anyway, from the time indicated on the timer that cycles my lights, it lost power about 10hrs before - or roughly an hour after we left for work!! Everything survived.

#3 - My biggest one yet. I originally had a HOB overflow and it was a molded acrylic "all-in-one" type of thing - not the typical inner box / outer box w/ a U-shaped hose that attaches the two. The outer box had a blue foam sponge - a sort of "prefilter". Anyway, I had just added a yellow watchman goby - I LOVE this fish. Everyday I'd come home from work and search for him and we'd just stare at eachother. Well, about 3 days into his residency, I couldn't find him. Panic struck. I start searching the floor, under the tank, asking the dog if maybe he found him on the floor and mistook him as a treat, etc. Nothing. And as I'm standing there, I catch a hint of yellow out the corner of my eye. He was lying ON the blue sponge and the water was just barely flowing over him. He looked sickly. I actually thought he was dead. I picked him up and he flipped his tail!!! I instantly dropped him in the tank. That was probably 9-10 months ago. He NEVER swims higher than the middle of the water column now!!

MyCoralFarm

RS Sponsor
Worst ever was when a turbo snail managed to get into the overflow and the return pump drained all the water into our living room my wife never managed to forgive that one well in her defense she had every right as she was worried about the new carpet and flooring I was only concerned if my new acro would survive a night without water since it was placed at the very top of the tank. Ahhh good memories.

jnohs

i over dosed vinigar and toasted my sand bed in about 4 hour. I watched my sand go from white to black and stinky. I had to start a new tant. That god because this 1 has over flows and is a true reef tank.

tnwillia

Oh yeah many more than one.

Three weeks ago while draining my tank for my water change. My daughter and I got into it about the world she knows far more about than I.

In the middle of this I thought there was something I was suppose to be doing. I looked around and caught my draining tank water a hair from overflowing my 20 gal brute. I jumped, I got it stopped just in time and added it to a long list of lessons learned in reefing land.

A couple weeks back my friend was watching my tank while I was out of town. She had disconnected the powerheads to feed the corals and shrimp. Yes, she did remember to re-connect them. However, she also apparently jarred the heater loose enough that it looked like it was plugged in but it wasn't. Anyhoo, when I got home the next night, I checked the tank and noticed that the water temp was like 70-71F :bugout: I immediately checked the power cords, and of course, the one for the heater wasn't pushed completely into the socket. I plugged it back up right away. I normally keep my tank at 78F so I'm sure the tank was shocked with such a swing in temps. Everything but one colony of zoas seems to be doing fine. All the corals were a bit po'ed for a day or two, but they all got over it except for the one. It still hasn't opened back up. It's still alive but remains closed up. Luckily, it was my least favorite piece so if it doesn't recover, I won't be heart-broken. I was considering getting rid of the piece anyway because it takes up a fair amount of room, and it's not at all colorful...just brown. I was considering trading it to a guy I knew for some colorful zoas. Hopefully, I can nurse it back and still trade it.

garym

I did this today!!! I was cleaning my octo 150 in my sump and started it back up and didnt think to watch and make sure the water level was good in the neck.....Well I lost about a gallon of water out of my sump in the floor....worst part,It was the green smell skimmer water all over my carpet

twoclowns

My worst was about 5 years ago I get a call from my mother (my tanks are kept at my parents) she says that there is water leaking out of my tank onto the floor I do a 22 minute drive in about 14 minutes and when I get there my 30 gallon tall is about 20% full and there is a crack from the bottom left corner up to the top right corner and water is still slowly leaking out. My 125 is missing about 4" on water and the pump is running dry. It was a complete nightmare. All because my father didn't believe me that the stand that we built for the 30g needed to be almost completely flat. Cleaned up the mess (tons of water in the basement that went through the hardwood floor) got a new drilled 30t and used wood putty under a piece of plexiglass (like I told him from the start) under the 30t and haven't had a problem since.

Also have turned on the ro and fell asleep, woke up the next morning and there was tons of water on the floor and a very full bucket of ro water. I have since corrected all the problems and now have the ro in the basement with a timer and a back up float control that shuts off the ro when the bucket is full. Sump now in the basement with an ATO so no more water on floor problems. (knock on wood):banghead:
:)