Blue Xenia and clownfish not good bed buddies??

My tank is a year old now and the clown has been in for 10 months or so and the xenia around 8. There was a period when the Xenia had randomly died off completely, but I left the shell that it was attached to in the tank and after about a month, it started reappearing. It is now everywhere! I have about 6 different populations of it and about 2 weeks ago I noticed my clown taking a liking to it.

I've only found him hosting in a patch at night - not once the lights are on. Today my wife noticed the clown has black spots on him which after some research I've found is common for this behavior. I happened to notice though that the Xenia in the patch he is hosting is receding - lost almost a nickel sized spot. Is it possible that the Xenia doesn't like him hosting? Can it cause it to die off? I'm really not willing to get rid of either - guess I could try moving the Xenia to the other end of the tank - he stays strictly on one end (which oddly enough use to be the end he avoided up until 3 months ago). Silly fish.....

BTW - 55g, no recent water tests, but two 5g changes last week b/c I had been slacking lately

The black spots are likely stings, and he will probably get used to them. The Xenia may die off a bit, but they are a very resiliant soft coral and should also be fine. I wouldn't worry.

Cavinca

"I'm really not willing to get rid of either"
HAH! you will... and i sugest the xenia. its cool now, but in a couple months it will overun your tank :). I had to take a weed wacker to the stuff.

Ive never heard of xenia that "stings". Maybe something under the xenia stinging? My clowns hosted in my xenia forest for a long time with no problems. In fact they snap at me everytime i stick my hand in the tank now. Guess they are bitter :dunno:

reefs reefs

yea i would get rid of the exn. I had the same thing happen and my ammiona went way sky high not fun at all. 100 dollars later i got rid of the ammonia again not fun they are cool at first but when they really start to spreed its kool but a lot of work

How did xenia make your ammonia spike?
Why did it cost $100 to get the ammonia back down? just curious if there is something I should be watching for.
I have had xenias in my 24 and my 120 for years as a stable colony. I have not seen the "weed effect"