How to frag???

Okay, tank has been setup a year now and some of my corals are spreading a lil more than I'd like. I love my green star polyps, but they've taken over the rock I put them on and are starting to spread to the one next to it - I don't want that. I read that they will grow on glass, overflow, etc which would be pretty cool to have on my overflow box for skimmer. So, how do I go about this? Can I just take a sharp knife and cut it when it's closed? Is their purple base stuck to the rock well or will it just peel up easily? I obviously don't want to hurt / kill this coral. Can I do this while it's in the tank? Finally, how would I affix it to a vertical surface such as the overflow box?

Also, blue xenia - what's required to frag that? I also have that spreading like weeds.

Thanks for helping a fragging newbie!!!

lcstorc

For the GSP, you just need part of the mat. If you can peel it from the rock, then great. Just glue it where you want.
The easiest thing for both GSP and xenia is to just put them close to where you want them to grow or put them close to the glass so they grow onto it.

Sapphire

GSP cannot be killed (well as close to invincible as you can get anyway!). Just pull up a bit of the purple mat and glue it (super glue gel) where you want. If you have them on a rock on the substrate you can wait til they go over the substrate - that way there's no peeling etc involved and you just cut the section off.

With xenia just get a sharp knife and cut off the head if it's too big. You can then put this in a small pottle with some love rock rubble in the bottom. The cover it with some netting to keep the xenia frag in the pottle and on the rubble. Also poke a few hole in the pottle to get some water flow. The frag will attach to the the ruble in a few days. Then you can transfer it to where you want. Alternatively just put the whole xenia next to where you want it to go - the trunk will attach to the next rock if it;s touching and will split on it's own.